We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary trip this month

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, Missouri
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Anniversary trip this month

I've read so many of the great posts here and decided it was time to finally go for it and ask some questions of you great travel experts!

My husband and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary this month. We are flying into Portland on the afternoon of 5/22 and need to spend the night before we pick up our RV rental in Beaverton the next day. Having traveled the whole day to get there (from Missouri), I doubt we will want to do much that evening. Would love a hotel near the airport (maybe one that serves breakfast the next morning before we head to Beaverton via the rail?).

We have one week and expect to go up to Astoria, down part of the coast and over to the Dalles. Knowing we are starting our trip during the Memorial Day weekend, are there any recommendations for areas that we might find better with the RV from a crowd standpoint or is that just something we need to expect? One last question - we expect to end up in downtown Portland on Friday, May 30 early after dropping off the RV. Would like to spend our last night downtown before we head out on the 31st. Would welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance for your recommendations. I'm always amazed at the kindness of strangers when it comes to travel guidance!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary trip this month

you need to expect crowds during memorial day weekend any where- particularly at the north coast and in the gorge(or really anywhere within a day's drive of Portland). What type of RV are you renting? This may limit your choices of where you can stay. Many state parks/ forest service campgrounds will already be full for memorial day weekend reservations(the locals like to go camping too!!), but there are private parks around. Ifi you do not have reservations along the coast for memorial day weekend, I would start your trip in the gorge or someplace east.

Depending on how big your RV is I would not recommend driving the historic Columbia gorge highway(hwy 30), but you can still travel the interstate.

you need to get your reservations ASAP for memorial day weekend

Edited: 1:04 am, May 03, 2014
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary trip this month

Memorial Day weekend will be busy. It's not nearly as bad as 4th of July weekend, though! You should start researching and booking right away. If you click on the links below, you will find two TripAdvisor Traveler Article lists of RV parks and campgrounds along the Oregon coast.

The first is for parks where you can see water from your campsite; the second is a list of all the campgrounds and RV parks near Hwy 101:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c137301/Oreg…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c194822/Oreg…

I can personally recommend various RV parks since we've stayed in many of them over the years :-) We enjoyed Lewis & Clark Golf and RV Resort in Astoria (Warrenton) -- beautiful quiet surroundings and 'far from the madding crowds' of Ft Stevens SP and KOA!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60806-d1631241…

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary trip this month

Hi,

From The Dalles, if you want to visit Multnomah Falls on the way to Beaverton on I84 you can park in the freeway parking lot unless it is full.

I would not attempt to take an RV on the Historic Highway because of very narrow spots. It is just not safe.

There are camping spots out near the Dalles and throughout the CRGNSA. be aware that train noise and movement may impact your quality of enjoyment. Happy Anniversary!

Have fun,

MrsO

Edited: 5:44 pm, May 03, 2014
Level Contributor
34,504 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary trip this month

Bridgewater Bistro in Astoria would be a nice place for your anniversary dinner. www.astoriaor.com :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary trip this month

Consider hopping across the bridge from Astoria and going to The Pelicano in Ilwaco, WA. It's only about 20 min north of Astoria on US 101, but it is considerably better than anything you'll get in Astoria. There are plenty of places for your RV there, including right across the street, with a view of the Ilwaco Harbor.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary trip this month

If you go over to SW Washington, Cape Disappointment State Park is a very pretty location with a nice campground that has full hookup sites close to the ocean. All of the RV parks we've seen around Ilwaco were either quite congested or rather run down - just my opinion as an RVer.

7. Re: Anniversary trip this month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 07, 2015