We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

West Virginia
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

I am posting a day after our return from the beautiful and amazing state of Oregon. We spent eight days in Oregon, starting at PDX and driving to Hood River for two nights--had great hikes, great sights and great food. Then we moved south to Mt. Hood for short visit, then onto Smith Rock State Park, Lava Butte and the night in Bend---amazing drive from Hood River to Bend--unbelievable scenery changes. We loved standing at Timberline and a few hours letting hiking in the high desert. Then to the coast, starting at Seal Rock and moving up to Newport/Nye Beach for two night, then to Cannon Beach for two nights---and all we could compress in those days. From Cannon Beach back to Portland to end our stay the way we began--with lunch at Cartlandia.

We were very fortunate to have great weather--sun! six of the eight days in Oregon. Of course we had planned for less than "perfect" weather and it was interesting listening to the locals talk about the several straight days of sun. We found everyone to be so nice, it even appeared the drivers in the traffic around Portland were nice, keeping their distance from each other--unlike most drivers in semi-heavy traffic. I had fun sending pics of all the "warning" signs to my sister in law--rattlesnakes, cougars, tsunami, cliffs, waves, etc. etc.

My wife and I agree that our trip to Oregon was more than we expected---have already recommended others travel there. We love the outdoors and what a great place to spend eight days.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions as we planned our trip over the past few months. And to those of you who live in Oregon---you have a great state (even though we are still puzzled by the no sales tax and no self serve gas :) ), and as I am sure you do, appreciate all you have to offer.

Thanks again.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,233 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

Thanks so much for your trip report and glad you had a great time!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,173 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

Nice trip report! Sounds like you had an amazing time.Those are my favorite things indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Our gas prices seem to be lower too, huh?

Please, we will leave the light on, do come back and visit again!

MrsO

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
918 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

Your report makes me look forward to our upcoming visit even more. Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

I remember your post from November! Glad you had a good trip. You really lucked out on the weather, it's raining cats and dogs and snakes and frogs as I type.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

Any questions just let me know.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

sounds like a great trip. I am planning a similar trip, except we are headed to Mt. St. Helens for a climb and we are not going to Bend.

Share any other details or highlights along the way if you can.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

also, what were the highlights along the coast. We have been to Cannon Beach and we are going again, but we would consider a side trip while we are on the coast.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

Thanks for report, always good to hear from someone we gave some ideas to. People like you keep me posting here.

As for sales tax, I finally agree we need one.

as for the gas I still like having someone pump it. They can do the stuff in the rain.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

After we drove from Bend to the coast, we started at Ona Beach and walked to Seal Rock and back. There is a "hidden" trail as you get near Seal Rock, that will take you up to 101 and a short walk to the Seal Rock overlook and steps to the beach on that side. After that we stopped at Haceta Head lighthouse and walked to the top (with a guide, of course)., and went to Cape Perpetua and did the easy hike to see the Giant Spruce.

In Newport we visited the Yaquina Head Lighhouse and did a few walks in that area. We saw Devils Punchbowl at high and low tide--at high tide looking from the overlook and low tide we walked down for our first views of tidepools, and the interior of the Punchbowl.

As we made our way to Cannon Beach, we stopped at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and had ice cream for lunch and did the short hike to Munson Falls. Of course we saw Haystack Rock and tidepools at high and low tides. We went to Ecola State Park and Indian Beach and did a couple of hikes--one had a good view of the Tillamook lighthouse, but we turned around when the trail became narrow with a steep drop-off on the ocean side (I have a fear of height, and it was very gusty and my wife was afraid she would be blown off the trail).

I think I am missing a few things, as we didn't keep a journal, but did so much in our eight days. Also, ( I am not getting paid to promote) we found William Sullivan's 100 Hikes/Travel Guides to be very helpful. He has those for the different Oregon regions--very detailed and easy to follow. Had we not had those or some other type of guide, we would have missed some trails, etc. We used them for the coast, central Oregon, and northwest Oregon.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

10. Re: thanks for the pointers---eight day trip to Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 27, 2015