We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single girl, 30s, first time in Portland, Easter Weekend

St Lucia
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Single girl, 30s, first time in Portland, Easter Weekend

Hi. I'm driving from Vancouver solo on the Easter weekend. Thinking about spending a night in Seattle and 2 in Portland. I want to enjoy the beer scene, the food cart scene, some night life, music and take in some scenery. I'm looking for a small bed & breakfast; don't need a very fancy hotel. Any suggestions on where I should stay that would be central to where the activity, nightlife, music and foodie scene is please? What's the best driving route to allow me to take in some of the best scenery? Thanks for your suggestions.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single girl, 30s, first time in Portland, Easter Weekend

Need to clear up something: You say you are " looking for a small bed & breakfast;" then you say " don't need a very fancy hotel." Which is it? Thanks. Chuck.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single girl, 30s, first time in Portland, Easter Weekend

If you're looking for a place central to brewpubs, the foodie scene, etc., and it's a first-time visit, I'd recommend someplace downtown close to the Pearl District. But the deal is, you won't find any B&Bs around there (to my knowledge anyway). Have a look at ACE Hotel or McMenamin's Crystal Hotel. Either would be a good choice if it fits in your budget.

I think most would agree that the best nearby scenery is in the Columbia River Gorge, east of the city. In a distance of about 15 miles, you'll pass by a number of waterfalls and scenic overlooks. columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_r… I'd also suggest a drive through Washington Park, stopping to take in views of the city from the tennis courts between the International Test Rose Garden (worth a look even if not many roses are in bloom), and the Japanese Gardens.

Enjoy Portland, and Happy Easter!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single girl, 30s, first time in Portland, Easter Weekend

Welcome to tripadvisor! If you go to the top of the page toward the left, you will see "Hotels." Click on that and then you can click on B&B's or Specialty Accommodations and then read through some reviews. That may help.

An option for accommodations that may work for you would be checking for east side places close to the river on Airbnb or VRBO. There are a lot of affordable places to stay, several just a bedroom with a bathroom and private entrance or you could even get a small apartment. I think the east side of town has more to offer in the way of great food and beer joints.

Be sure to check out Base Camp Brewery if the weather is even semi warm. They have big outdoor tables with firepits in the middle and it is a great way to meet other folks.

4. Re: Single girl, 30s, first time in Portland, Easter Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 12, 2015