We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

We are a couple 35-40 taking our 5 yr anniversary trip and first trip away from our 1 yr old twins ( my mom will be keeping them) in mid to late may.... I think we have settled on Portland/ Seattle We will go 5-6 days ( travel time is 5-6 hrs with getting to airport early etc. So once we are there we will probably loose a 1/2 day for travel on either end of the trip. We are thinking of taking the train between cities to just be relaxed and not have to worry unless the drive is much prettier.

We love good food and some nightlife Like cities but love gorgeous scenery too. not into hiking much but would for the right view.

Need to know weather or not to do 3 nights Portland two nights Seattle or the opposite? We have never been to this part of the country and would really like to see the scenery too.

Right now I am thinking:

fly into Portland on a Tuesday. Explore Portland that day/ evening. Wake up early the next day and drive to the Columbia river gorge. Stay at same hotel in Portland that night. Next day maybe drive to wine country Willamette Valley? Stay in Portland. get up and have breakfast and leave around 10ish for Seattle. get to Seattle Friday and enjoy a nice dinner and some nightlife. Get up the next day and explore Seattle... space needle, pikes market, etc. ( most of one day suggestions on this list.) Sunday get up and do the waterfront, have some great seafood and leave early evening fly out from Seattle back home.

This might push to Wed- Monday which would mean we might be able to catch the farmers market in Portland Saturday before we head to Seattle. Also might be better for the train to Seattle to do it on a Saturday rather than a Friday?

Does this sounds like a good trip? Would I be missing any must sees in these areas? Should I skip the wine country in Portland for another day in Seattle and do a day trip there? what are my day trip options in Seattle and what is best?

Thank you in advance for any advise.

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

You should really try to see the coast! www.cannon-beach.net :).

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

I think it sounds relaxing and great. Good work.

MrsO

13. Re: 5 yr anniversary trip- Itinerary Advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 25, 2015