We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland Visit SOON!

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Portland Visit SOON!

From Chicago here and my boyfriend and I have heard such great things about Portland that we are considering relocating to Portland!! I am very excited. We were going to relocate to SF but it is SUPER expensive to live. First things first, we need to visit this wonderful city, we are thinking of visiting for a week sometime in January, can anyone suggest inexpensive hotels to stay at in the downtown area or somewhere near airport? (maybe less than $100 a night) is everything within walking distance in downtown area? I have so many questions that I don't even know where to begin, I guess we'll just have to visit PORTLAND to find out.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

For lodging, I suggest the McMenamin's Crystal Hotel. Queen room with shared bath go for between $85 and $105. Shared baths are great -- very clean -- and the hotel itself is very unique. Has a great bar and soaking pool on site. It's very Portland. Location is in the Pearl District -- close to transit -- and walkable to other downtown sites (e.g., Powells).

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

I will ditto what foodie66 wrote:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

It's an easy ride in on the MAX train if you stay by the airport, but staying downtown is best, and many things are within walking distance, but if you're thinking of moving here, best to see the neighborhoods in SE, NE, N, and NW. They're easy to get to on the bus. Get the Tri-Met app for your phone and you're set for getting around.

Travelocity and other places will have several choices under $100 in January -- it's a quiet time. Don't disagree with McM's if you like the boho vibe there, which many do.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,102 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

Hi, I agree Portland and surrounding areas are beautiful.

I sure would check it out more thoroughly. There is a lot about Portland that you may like to know before moving here. There are a lot of other cities surrounding the city to inspect.

Have a great visit when you come!

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

The Crystal Hotel is a great idea - price perfect and in the thick of both downtown and The Pearl. You can check out living accomodations in this area, but depending on your budget you may want to look into the inner eastside, which also has some very good areas to live in.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

If you are thinking of moving to Portland, my suggestion would be to skip a hotel and find a vacation rental. You will get a much better feel for the city. Check out airbnb, homeaway, and VRBO.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

>> is everything within walking distance in downtown area? <<

Depends upon what you mean by "everything"?

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

Thank you all for all your suggestion and comments. I am looking forward to our visit.

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

Also, would anyone know how far/close the airport is from downtown portland? Thank you in advance for your comments.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland Visit SOON!

It's around 10 miles -- around 20 minutes by car (in good traffic, a lot longer during rush hour), 45 minutes by public transit. You can take the MAX red line directly from the airport to downtown.