We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Hawaii

Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Topic
Flights to Hawaii

We're planning on taking our first trip to Hawaii next summer, and I'm just now starting to research airfare. All flights from PDX to Hawaii seem to be around $700. Is this typical airfare from Portland to Hawaii? I'm used to flying to Southern California where I can always find airfare as low as $200, so $700 seems insane to me. That's over $2,000 just on airfare (there are 3 of us).

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flights to Hawaii

Phirl: You miss taking Hawaiian to Hawaii? Why don't you take them any more? Chuck.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flights to Hawaii

Cause of Alaska companion fares. Alaska fares a bit better anyway, and the companion fare really makes them better. Also Alaska goes to more places in Hawaii direct.

Edited: 11:05 pm, November 13, 2013
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Flights to Hawaii

We have flown both Alaska and Hawaiian several times, and have been pleased with both. Prices for both go up and down, so I would just choose whichever has the better schedule for you at a price you can stomach. The one website that I use for comparing prices and schedules is www.itasoftware.com as it is is very easy to use. It also has an option where you can check a month long calendar for dates so if you are flexible, that is huge, IMO.

I hope you find something that works for you. It is a great place to vacation:)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Flights to Hawaii

I usually setup a fare alert on kayak.com. We just flew RDM-PDX-LIH roundtrip on Alaska for about $600pp so for just PDX (without the Redmond hop) yes... $700 is too high.

Hawaiian can be nicer, but we had a pleasant trip on Alaska this time around. It always depends on the crew and who you are lucky enough to be seated next to, so seems like a crap shoot...

Have a great trip!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Flights to Hawaii

We fly to Hawaii once a year and $700 is not that far out of the ordinary depending on which island flying to and if you are flying high season. I concur with other posters who have mentioned the Alaska Airlines Visa card. The card comes with a $99 companion ticket (plus taxes) and is good for anywhere Alaska flies including Hawaii. The card also comes with 30,000 bonus miles. If you are flying with more than two people you can use the 30,000 bonus miles to pay for half of another person's ticket. So the card can save you a bunch of money. Alaska also flies to all islands from Portland, Hawaiian only has direct flights to HNL. I prefer Alaska because we usually go to Maui and with the companion pass and direct flight it works out better. But Hawaiian is a better flying experience.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

16. Re: Flights to Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 18, 2014