We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Portland

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weekend in Portland

My husband and I will be arriving in Portland on 11/28 and departing on 12/1. This will be our first time in Portland and I would like suggestions on fun things to do. We are open to all suggestions, must see and do things for newbies?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Weekend in Portland

LOL, yes you did give wine advice. You are so good, and although walking tours and beer are your specialty I would take your advice Brian, anytime. You are one smart guy!

MrsO

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Weekend in Portland

Thank you for all the suggestions!!! We will actually be celebrating our 10th Anniversary on the 29th... Black Friday- yeay!!!!! Any suggestions on something nice to do, or somewhere to have a nice dinner? Hopefully something that won't break the bank! :)

Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Weekend in Portland

Portland City Grill is very good for a special occasion restaurant. If you want something trendy and cool, Departure Lounge at The Nines is one of our favorites. Both restaurants offer gorgeous views of the city, excellent food, attentive service and can be booked on opentable. :).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Weekend in Portland

Thank you syrahgirl! I will definitely be looking them up :)

West Linn, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Weekend in Portland

Also for a day trip you might want to visit Mt. Hood. Even if you're not a skier Timberline Lodge is one of the most scenic resorts you will ever have the chance to visit. A great drive is our the Columbia River Gorge where you can visit a lot of the most beautiful waterfalls. Stop in Hood River, which is one of the top wind and kite surfing spots in the world (not sure how much this late in the year) and then back over Mt. Hood with a stop at Timberline and Government Camp. It will eat up a day but is well worth the trip.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Weekend in Portland

Do you want a n old fashioned nice meal to celebrate (with views!) or something fancy and newer? Seafood or homey? There are a lot in the Gorge.

MrsO

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Weekend in Portland

MrsO I was looking for something newer, probably not seafood since I am allergic to shellfish... don't want to die on my first time out to Portland :) someone suggested the Portland City Grill, I hear it has an amazing view of the city.

Globalreach, would we need chains this time of year? I hear it's chilly, well, for us in the southern part of California who aren't really used to the colder weather... I hear the falls are beautiful, any you recommend?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Weekend in Portland

I understand how you feel. Portland City Grill does indeed have great views. You will enjoy it. The food is always good. Check out the menu and be sure it's what you want. It's well worth the price.

As for weather, I am not Global but our weather changes every 5 minutes.. You should check the weather daily and hourly before going to the mountains.

You may luck out and get no snow at all. We haven't had to use chains in about 3 years but we only volunteer in the Gorge. They have web cams on www.nwhiker.com if you want to go up to Timberline.

There are other ways to get there from Hood River if it's snowy. If you stay at one of the local places they have transportation up the hill. Most of them ski, but I am a toddy by the fireplace kind of gal.

Have fun

MrsO

19. Re: Weekend in Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 08, 2014