We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

Thanks to previous advice on this forum, we have decided to stay in the downtown area near Burnside for 3 nights. My husband and I are in our late 50's, love cities, and love to walk. No real set plans--just exploring, eating, drinking. This area seems like a good choice for us--we can walk to the Saturday market and many other places. Since we have reservations at Le Pigeon for our second night there, I figure we will explore that part of the city (the other end of Burnside) before and after dinner on Friday. First question: Does this seem like a good choice?

If so, I am choosing between 2 hotels, The Lucia and the Vintage Plaza. They seem like they are practically right next door to each other. Is there an advantage in choosing one over the other (the prices are similar)?

Any "corrections" or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

With the qualifier that I've been in both but not stayed in either, my observation is that Vintage Plaza retains more of the historic character of its building, whereas Lucia is more contemporary and cosmopolitan. Otherwise, it's a toss-up.

You might have a glass of wine and a bite at Noble Rot before or after dinner at Le Pigeon, but if you're interested in exploring other close-in areas of Portland, I'd suggest SE Hawthorne and/or N. Mississippi Ave. before E. Burnside.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

Thanks so much for the info. I'll note those 2 areas. Appreciate the advice.

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

Le Pigeon is a fantastic choice for dinner! It is one of our favorites in Portland. Be sure to make a reservation here. The Hotel Vintage Plaza houses Pazzo, a very good Italian restaurant. Have fun! :)

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

We have stayed at the Vintage Plaza numerous times, and it is one of our favorite hotels anywhere, not just in Portland. We have not stayed at the Lucia, but it is right next door.

You can find my review of the Vintage Plaza from early August 2013, I believe, and you might want to take a look. Here are some of the things we like about that hotel. It is a boutique hotel with a high level of service. They have evening wine tastings in their lobby. The lobby is inviting and becomes kind of like a gathering place for the hotel where people can hang out, drink a cup of coffee, and read the newspaper. We really like the restaurant, bakery, and bar that are in the hotel. They are street level and do a business on their own. Staff is very helpful. If you book on the Vintage Plaza's (Kimpton) website you may be able to get a pretty good deal on a room. If the upcharge is not too much, the King Suites are really nice and very spacious. Slightly smaller and a little less expensive are some rooms that have a great urban view of the City looking up Broadway. Some people might be attracted to the Starlight glass ceiling rooms near the top of the hotel, but those were not our cup of tea. Those are some of the reasons we have enjoyed our stays at the Vintage. Enjoy your stay in Portland.

Edited: 10:48 pm, October 27, 2013
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

Thanks so much for the specific info. We arrive at the Vintage Plaza on the 31st and are looking forward to our stay. You wonderful people on this forum are great. I appreciate all the help with decision making.

Junction City...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

As a couple in our 50's, you can not go wrong with downtown Portland. Plenty to do. You will enjoy the Vintage Plaza. If time permits head up to 23rd St and walk around.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,079 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

We arrived around 9pm, long drive from Bandon. So tomorrow we begin our exploration. But it seems like a wonderful base and can't wait to see Portland. Thanks, everyone.

8. Re: Vintage Plaza vs Lucia (and area)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 03, 2014