We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Portland for 3 months

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Portland for 3 months

Hey to anyone that's ever lived in or still does live in Portland I need to know what to do!

I'm a travel RN with a 13 week assignment that starts Oct. 3rd; I'll be with my girlfriend and my dog. We're driving into town so we'll have a car for the long trips. As far as I can tell, we'll be hitting up the bars for the friendly people, but I just want to make sure we can get all we can out of Portland while here.

P.S. We were born and raised in FL so everything here will be insane. I've never even seen snow.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Portland for 3 months

You have a great attitude, so will do well here:)

As for snow, I remember when we were stationed in FL and a coworker asked me if snow hurt when it fell, lol. Since you have not even seen snow, the one thing I will say is that if we get any snow or ice, please do not try to drive at all. With all the hills around here, and the fact that we don't get much snow, many people are not good at driving in it so the roads become a total mess. With your timeframe, you will encounter at least some days with slick roads, so keep that in mind.

As for getting the most out of your time here, I would head out of downtown at any opportunity and do day/weekend trips before the worst of the weather arrives. That way, when you want to hunker down, there will still be a lot of Portland itself to discover. There are so many great places to visit and so much to see, you will stay busy. Here are some things off the top of my head:

Coast (90 minutes from downtown)

Gorge (starts about 20 minutes from downtown)

Silver Falls (just east of Salem)

Mt Hood (try your hand at skiing/snowboarding or even just for sledding)

Portland Art Museum

Portland Saturday Market (on sat and sun)

OMSI

Outlet shopping--by far the best is in Woodburn, about 30 minutes south of downtown)

Wineries--OR is famous for our world class Pinot Noir and there are over 200 in the area SW of Portland, and a lot of fantastic restaurants in this area as well. Look to the Newberg/Dundee/McMinnville area.

Bike along the Springwater Trail

Take the train to Seattle

Drive to Sisters/Bend (if roads are clear since it is through the mountains)

Visit the antique stores in Aurora.

Chinese and Japanese Gardens in Portland

Zoo

Forest Park/Wildwood trail for urban hiking

Pittock Mansion (clear day is best for the views)

Visit breweries all over Portland, as well as head to Newport for Rogue and take a tour of that brewery as well as their distillery.

Drive all down the coast

I am sure others will have more to add. Enjoy you time here. I would do any weekend trips early on while the weather has a better chance of cooperating.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Portland for 3 months

Hi

If you want to visit our Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area resplendent with waterfalls and majestic basalt columns just drive out I-84 and get off at the Bridal Veil exit to visit Multnomah Falls. The very well informed volunteers who work behind the desk can give you lots of ways to see this area.

(even though the GVT shutdown it doesn't affect the CRGNSA as there is no main admission.)

We became Gorge addicts as there is so much to explore. We also became volunteers at Multnomah Falls.

If you like what you see you can go the scenic back way next time. There is a post at the top in top questions you can click on to learn more about this.

I think that there are so many things to see and do here that you may become a little overwhelmed at first and that is why I gave you the short version. You with 4 months have plenty of time to enjoy all that {Portland and the vicinity has to offer,

Best,

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Portland for 3 months

Try my new favourite for cocktails -- the Teardrop Lounge in the Pearl. The bar at Park Kitchen, while small, is also very good, in a town full of great bars.

You might want to post where you're working -- Prov St. V or PDX, Legacy Emm or Lovejoy, or elsewhere, and you can get some at-your-doorstep bar recommendations for that after-shift relaxer.

For getting out of town, keep in mind the coast, which can be amazing even in horrible weather. Get somewhere you can just sit by the windows and watch the storms come in over the ocean. Very different from Fla. Good suggestions above, of course, but you've got to get to Timberline Lodge at least once. Flatlanders really boggle there. Have fun!

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Portland for 3 months

Wow. Thanks for the response. I just got here so after unpacking it's definitely time to explore. Well after I get off work I guess.

5. Re: Traveling to Portland for 3 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, October 03, 2014