We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
13 posts
Save Topic
Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

Hi -- my name is Shannon and I am going on a solo trip to PDX for a week the end of October. I have several friends from Portland or Seattle and they all tell me I need to go because I will fall in love! I love live music, good beer (like everyone else going to Portland), people watching, and green.

I am really excited and have done a lot of solo traveling previously. However, I would like advice on a few things:

1. I am staying with a couple off of AirBNB.com in the Richmond area near SE Cesar and SE Powell Blvd (safe area?). My hope was to walk everywhere Downtown, Hawthorne District, etc... It was either that or rent a bike. I have no problem exercising (how long would it take to walk to these places relatively?), but I am concerned for the weather and late-night hooplah. I can't decide if I should do TriMet or rent a car... I don't want to be stuck out at night (anywhere to dance - Latin, bluegrass... no clubby-nonsense) and not be able to take TriMet home if I do that.

2. I have also never rented a car and being 23, I am thinking my rates would be astronomical! I am also wondering what driving conditions will be like. I would like to go to Columbia River Gorge, Willamette Valley, maybe C. Beach. I grew up in the Northeast so I know snow and all, but is the rain/hail very hellacious?

3. I do Bikram yoga and I do not see an walkable studios near Richmond. I see yoga in general, but not Bikram. If I do not end up renting a car, any places anyone knows of?

4. Being there around Halloween, any fun events that happen yearly that aren't overrated?

5. I like meeting people when I travel, so I am thinking of using MeetUp.com to see who is around. Any other good ways anyone knows of in PDX? I could just go to a bar and stand on a table and yell, "I'll buy beeeer!" No, but really...

I appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks for reading.

S

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

I don't think you will want to rent a car to be in the city.

There are ZIP cars for you to rent for day trips out of the city.

It rained the Halloweens when we lived there and to tell the truth, there was nothing going on .. although clubs etc might have something fun..

I lived in the Pearl District and there were yoga studios everywhere.

It is pretty easy to drive around Portland and to get out to the beaches and the Gorge drive. Very beautiful driving too ! You will like it a lot, I bet.

I'll buy beer will work LOL

While we lived there, it snowed for 15 minutes one day in the deep winter. Rain is an everyday occurrence and no one gets bothered, people rarely even wore raincoats . It is just a fact of life.

I think you will like it a lot. I totally fell in love with Portland when we went there for a 10 day visit, we moved there a few months later. We were very happy in Portland.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

Hi ChasShan and welcome to TripAdvisor.

There was that *huge* snowstorm in December 2008 - I'm sure those of us who lived here in Oregon then will not soon forget that one! It snowed something like a foot and a half that month in Portland!

Yes, it snows in Portland every year (ave. snowfall is about 5") , but that's later in winter so you should not have to worry about that. Of course, as I say that, we're in the middle of a fierce "winter" storm right now with buckets of rain and they're saying 80+ MPH winds on the coast today . . . except this is September when usually the weather is lovely!!

It may rain when you're here or it may be fairly dry and pleasant, no way to know ahead of time. Chances are you'll hit some rain but not a torrential storm. It rains much more on the coast, about twice that of Portland and the valley areas.

Check into car rentals. Often the "young driver" extra charge is about $10-$15 per day extra. So if you rented one for a short period of time, it should not be that pricey. Make sure you check prices downtown as they are *a lot* cheaper than at the airport!

There is a bus that goes to Cannon Beach and there are also small van tours of the Gorge, so you have options.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

Shannon--Since your trip is in October, you are not going to have to worry about snow at all. Yes, that one year was really abnormal for snow. Sort of like a stronger/lager than normal ice storm we had back in the early 70's. We can get some wild weather here, but October is usually pretty tame. One thing that you will notice though, the rain does not stop Oregonians from doing much. So don't feel like you need to just find indoor things to do, unless that is your preference. Many of us still love to get outside and do/see things even in the wind/rain. So if you do that, you will not be alone:) Since you grew up in the NE, you will be fine with our weather and probably won't even be phased by it. We were stationed in a few places in the NE and loved it, BTW.

People here are really friendly. You can easily go to a bar and easily meet people. Even without yelling that you will buy beer, lol. Course that would probably make you an instant 20-50 new friends:) I have not used Meetup, but have heard good things about it from people who have. I think with the personality of the PNW though, you can do just as well just going to a bar, etc and chatting with people.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

Ditto to the "rain does not stop Oregonians from doing much " ..

When we lived there, there always seemed to be as many people out and about in rain as there were on a sunny day.

The good part about Portland on a sunny or just dry day is that there are outdoor cafes all over and the gardens are still amazing and it is so much fun to wander in and out of shops and galleries and museums without a thought to rain.. but if it rains, you can most of it anyway.

We moved to Portland from NY ( with a years pit stop in Florida) and except for a longer rainy season, it was better than the northeast, not as cold so the damp never really stops us or anyone else I know.

My husband used to be amazed at the Portland Postal Workers.

The mailmen wore shorts , all year .. they were heartier than I lol

I agree with Mtngrl, the personality of the PNW, people are so friendly and helpful and nice .. you will make new friends right away.

Charleston, South...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

Thank you all for your responses. Any ideas on on the bikram or dancing??

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

I know absolutely nothing about Bikram yoga but googled and found:

http://www.bikramyogapdx.com/

http://www.bikramportland.com/

http://www.bikramfremontstreet.com/

Have no idea if that's what you're looking for?

7. Re: Portland first-timer Oct. 23-30th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 05, 2014