Hi -- my name is Shannon and I am going on a solo trip to PDX for a week the end of October. I have several friends from Portland or Seattle and they all tell me I need to go because I will fall in love! I love live music, good beer (like everyone else going to Portland), people watching, and green.
I am really excited and have done a lot of solo traveling previously. However, I would like advice on a few things:
1. I am staying with a couple off of AirBNB.com in the Richmond area near SE Cesar and SE Powell Blvd (safe area?). My hope was to walk everywhere Downtown, Hawthorne District, etc... It was either that or rent a bike. I have no problem exercising (how long would it take to walk to these places relatively?), but I am concerned for the weather and late-night hooplah. I can't decide if I should do TriMet or rent a car... I don't want to be stuck out at night (anywhere to dance - Latin, bluegrass... no clubby-nonsense) and not be able to take TriMet home if I do that.
2. I have also never rented a car and being 23, I am thinking my rates would be astronomical! I am also wondering what driving conditions will be like. I would like to go to Columbia River Gorge, Willamette Valley, maybe C. Beach. I grew up in the Northeast so I know snow and all, but is the rain/hail very hellacious?
3. I do Bikram yoga and I do not see an walkable studios near Richmond. I see yoga in general, but not Bikram. If I do not end up renting a car, any places anyone knows of?
4. Being there around Halloween, any fun events that happen yearly that aren't overrated?
5. I like meeting people when I travel, so I am thinking of using MeetUp.com to see who is around. Any other good ways anyone knows of in PDX? I could just go to a bar and stand on a table and yell, "I'll buy beeeer!" No, but really...
I appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks for reading.