We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for trip next weekend

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
660 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for trip next weekend

Hi,

So I have an (almost) free extended weekend planned. We will arrive late Friday night and leave Tuesday morning.

We will be spending the first two nights in Lake Oswego area and next two nights in Wilsonville area - just because that's where the free hotel nights were available.

Our three days are planned as follows:

1) Pitt Mansion, Japanese Garden, Chinese Garden, Powell's Books, Distillery Row tour.

2) Morning hiking Silver Falls Park, trip to Evergreen Aviation Museum to see the Spruce Goose, hit a couple of wineries.

3) Full day drive along CRGNSA, with one or two hikes of an hour or two each.

Since we are coming from San Antonio, we plan to let the time change work for us and get an early start each day.

So - specific questions - which should we do on each day? Will Silver Falls State Park be extremely busy on the weekend - or are we okay if we go early? Also - I've also noticed that the weather has been dry there lately - are the falls still good for viewing?

Would like a suggestion for a nearly brewpub for hubby to sit in while I spend an hour or two at Powells - he likes ales, porters, stouts - not a big fan of IPAs.

Regarding parking - we will have a car and don't mind paying for parking, but is the parking situation really difficult in the Washington Park area?

Regarding fees at the Parks/trails - do we need to get a parking pass? We will only be stopping at Silver Falls State Park and maybe two other trails on the CRGNSA route.

Lastly - we only have time for a couple of wineries - suggestions? We'd like places that have it all (of course!) - good view, friendly staff, good Pinots or other varietals.

Mentioned in this post
Portland Japanese Garden
Portland Japanese Garden
5,134 Reviews
Portland, OR
Chinese Garden
Chinese Garden
4 Reviews
Portland, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

Hi,

You are just missing the last of the kids leaving for school. The crowds should be thinned out nicely. Did you plan that on purpose? LOL

You may need a NW Forest Pass in some forest areas. You can pick those up at the parking/trail head or at Multnomah Falls Gift Center unless they are out because of this weekend, some places are BiMart, Fred Meyers, any place that sells tackle or hunting/fishing licenses or FS offices.

You might consider a night in Hood River. The Columbia Gorge Hotel is on the National Register Historic Landmark places. It was built by Simon Benson, legendary for donating and instigating much of the Columbia River Gorge. Great Restaurant and grounds. It shares property with the luxurious Columbia Cliffs Suites, with walk through grounds and sharing the restaurant. There is a waterfall on the grounds between the two hotels.

A great place to explore the CRGNSA from.

Have fun.

MrsO

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:37 pm, December 03, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

agree you wont be able to fit everything in on day two. Silver Falls deserves at least 3/4 of the day if you want to do the complete trail of ten falls. There will still be water going over Silver falls to make it worth it during your visit. I think that even if you decide not to do all of the hiking along the trail, you'll only have time for the aviation museum or winery visiting...

the other days look good and doable.

Parking can be difficult at Washington Park, but I've always managed to find a place, aslong as you arent afraid of walking some distance. Also I believe Henry's Tavern is near Powells- which is fairly decent large scale pub...

Mentioned in this post
Henry's Tavern
Henry's Tavern
99 Reviews
Portland, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

The National Scenic Area is actually from Troutdale to The Dalles. It is designated by the confluences of both the Sandy and Deschutes Rivers..

I would suggest you take exit 17 which is Troutdale and go over the concrete bridge and along the Sandy River. You will see many beautiful sights. It goes clear through to Multnomah Falls and just past Ainsworth State Park before you reach I-84 where you can to either east towards Hood River and beyond or west back to Portland. It isn't much more time but it is so beautiful and peaceful.

The pull up to Corbett isn't nearly as pretty.

Best,

MrsO

Edited: 6:27 pm, September 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Ainsworth State Park
Ainsworth State Park
31 Reviews
Portland, OR
Corbett
Corbett
Oregon
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

Wow, such great replies. Thanks for all the info. So it looks like we will just do Silver Falls State Park and the Aviation Museum one day. I think one of the wineries was open until six, so we might end the day with one tasting :).

Mrs. O - the Troutdsle exit is for the Historic Highway, correct? ,

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

Yes. go past the outlet mall and take a left into town. You will go through town (it's small) then cross the bridge and take a right up the hill.

Enjoy yourself.

MrsO

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

A pub near Powells. I would suggest three: The nearest is Deschutes brewery, next is Rogue Brewery, and furthest, but still close is Bridgeport brewery. Each features excellent beer and decent food. Time permitting, your spouse could visit all three. Henry's tavern, as mentioned above, is connected to a major brewery, and would not be recommended by beer lovers.

Mentioned in this post
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

Thanks, Scappoose. I'm sure he'd like to visit all three. I guess it depends on how long I get lost in the bookstore ;)

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

You're welcome. Enjoy the books and the brews.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions for trip next weekend

Re: scappoose's reply #7. Henry's Tavern is not affiliated with any brewery, it is merely located in the renovated/historic Henry Weinhard's brewery (built in 1890s, closed in 1999). Although they don't brew anything, Henry's Tavern doesn't lack for good craft beer (over 100 taps), local and regional. Located at W Burnside & 12th, 1 block from Powell's.

I like Deschutes quite a bit, so no complaints about the recs already made for it. Good food and atmosphere, nice variety of beer styles too (all made by Deschutes). An option if husband wants more variety is Baileys Taproom (SW Broadway @ Ankeny - 3 blocks from Powell's) - 20 regional/local taps, always changing.

Enjoy your book shopping & I'm sure he'll enjoy the beer tasting! :)

Brian

Mentioned in this post
Henry's Tavern
Henry's Tavern
99 Reviews
Portland, OR