We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's better - Portland in October or May?

Ambler
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's better - Portland in October or May?

My fiancee are getting married in a few weeks and have decided on Portland, OR for our honeymoon. He was there years ago and loved it, this will be my first time visiting (also first time on the west coast as well). Now the only thing left is to figure out when to go, which we've narrowed down to either October or May. From what I've read, we'd get nicer weather in May, but my fiancee - who is a chef - thinks that the locally grown food will be more plentiful in October (this is big for him). So, any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

Oh boy, that's the truth ! We lived in the NorthEast US but had lived in Florida for 2 years before moving to Portland. We moved in the summer, thought it was the best summer place Ever !

Then , I think it was Halloween, the rain started. lol ... I have lived in quite a few different areas and so far, Portland wins the most rainy days contest.

Shopping and visiting bakeries did help though :)

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

gnetwerker, interesting facts. My mother moved from E Oregon to Toledo when I started 3rd grade. She spent rest of her life there. So I grew up in the rain. I surely can't remember when the rains start in the fall, but I remember some football games in driving rain. so I agree if oct go early part.

When you grow up in rain it is different. I never use an umbrella. Many from coast don't. They will just blow away in the rain.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Level Contributor
37,774 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

I would go for October! If you head out to the wine country, there are some amazing restaurants. I would not miss a meal at The Painted Lady where you can sample plate after plate of delicious food with the Prixe Fixe menu. Dundee Bistro, Joel Palmer House, Red Hills Provencial Dining, Tina's and Jory @ The Allison Inn & Spa are all wonderful places to sample some excellent food.

If you get over to the coast, Cannon Beach has The Stephanie Inn where you should plan a meal. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Dundee Bistro
Dundee Bistro
513 Reviews
Dundee, OR
Tina's
Tina's
296 Reviews
Dundee, OR
Allison Inn & Spa
Allison Inn & Spa
1,586 Reviews
Newberg, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Stephanie Inn
Stephanie Inn
2,148 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,795 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

>> I remember some football games in driving rain. <<

LOL phirl, that brings back memories. Lots of our friends had kids and we'd get talked into attending various games . . . often in the rain. I was glad when they all finally headed to college and we told all our friends that we were *not* going to support any grandkids the same way ;-)

This summer has been very dry. On the coast we usually get a little bit of summer rain to help keep the fields green but almost nothing this year. There have been several big fires and there is currently one in The Dalles area.

Mentioned in this post
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,299 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

May can have incredibly cold nights or even days. We've taken a cabin in the mountains and gotten snowed on. Our summer doesn't really start until July.

Best, and congratulation on the upcoming wedding!

MrsO

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

In May the flowers are beautiful!!

2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

I would definitely say October! Me, being born and raised as a valley girl in the hot desert, I don't particularly enjoy the cold, and especially not the cold and rain mixed together. I have lived here for almost ten years, and I would still advise you to choose October. You may get some rain in October, but it would be better than having a MUGGY wedding in May. May would be a bad choice unless you like to sweat.

2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

I would definitely say October! Me, being born and raised as a valley girl in the hot desert, I don't particularly enjoy the cold, and especially not the cold and rain mixed together. I have lived here for almost ten years, and I would still advise you to choose October. You may get some rain in October, but it would be better than having a MUGGY *honeymoon in May. May would be a bad choice unless you like to sweat. Good luck

Edited: 5:56 am, August 25, 2013
Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

Don't really think it is muggy in May!!!! It is a crap shoot either way. The weather in May or October can be either nice and sunny or rainy!!!!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What's better - Portland in October or May?

Eldest son of good friends got married the last week in May about 25 or so years ago. Temperature was over 100 here in the mid-Willamette Valley and humidity was beastly. Wedding pictures looked like they were taken in a wax museum -- with melting statues everywhere!!

Edited: 5:46 pm, August 25, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Willamette Valley
Willamette Valley
743 Reviews
Portland, OR