We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
280 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best part of Portland to stay in?

My 27 yr old son has given me a weekend in Portland with him as a birthday gift (what a sweetie pie!). He lives in SF and I live in DC so we are city people and used to vagrants, etc on the streets. But I have been reading a lot about the homeless problem in Portland and would just assume avoid staying in a part of town where we would be running into them at every turn. Any suggestions? Have barely begun planning so not sure what we will want to do, coming Oct 18-20, might do a day trip on Saturday to the beach or gorge. We certainly want to try to squeeze in a lot of great restaurants, maybe a bike ride, not too into shopping (at least he isn't!) but some wandering around charming neighborhoods. Where are the areas that most of the homeless tend to congregate in that we should avoid?

Appreciate any input, really looking forward to the trip!!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,114 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

From the NW to Downtown would be minutes. I used to walk it .. it is a very walkable city.

You can take the streetcar .. it stops right in front of the Inn at Northrup and you can also take a bus.

We walked .. In the NW and in the Pearl, there are nothing but restaurants , one after another, all kinds.

Downtown has plenty too.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

The streetcar runs every 15-20 mins, and operates at essentially walking speed. It will take you 30 mins to get to downtown on it. You will be far better off staying downtown.

People who say downtown Portland is anything other than the safest place you've been in years (especially to someone from DC) are hysterical and/or delusional. Some of them are shilling a particular hotel. I don't know which.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

"The streetcar runs every 15-20 mins, and operates at essentially walking speed."

Walking speed? I don't think so. Except for the not too frequent stops, it operates at the speed of the auto traffic.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

>>>"Walking speed? I don't think so. Except for the not too frequent stops, it operates at the speed of the auto traffic."<<<

My experience is that I can beat the streetcar from almost any Point A to Point B on foot, pretty consistently, downtown. YMMW.

Edited: 4:45 pm, August 21, 2013
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,114 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

I never noticed the streetcars going at a walkers speed, more like the speed of the traffic on the street that they are sharing with autos. But then .. I probably was never in any hurry and just enjoyed the ride.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

I agree with gnetwerker- I can beat the street car at a fast walk :) but it is always a nice option if presents itself...

Sadly agree that the homeless problem doesnt go away in winter, but nothing too big to worry about especially if you stick with the Pearl area and NW 23rd- lots of great restaurants and people out until past dark. I generaly feel safe with one or two people anywhere downtown after dark.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
9 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

The nicest hotels are downtown. I think a hotel in the southern part of downtown, near the south park blocks at PSU would be a good bet, like the Heathman or RiverPlace on the waterfront. If you stay at the waterfront, you could rent a bike to ride in the park. The south park blocks are very beautiful with old churches and architecturally interesting buildings. The streetcar travels here as well. I think you would love to use the streetcar as your guide, as there are many great restaurants and interesting neighborhoods to see along its route from PSU to NW 23rd.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

I'd also welcome recommendations about where to stay in Portland. I'll be there around Aug 12-15 with two 7 year old. I don't yet have a good feel for the neighbors. Would love a nice, but not too outrageously priced hotel. Suites are wonderful but not essential. Being able to walk to sites, restaurants and shops is very appealing. We will have a rental car. We're used to cities so not put off but things you see in downtown life. Based on postings above, checked Northrup but it's full then.

Any thoughts on the Marriott properties - like courtyard mariott at city center or convention center? main advantage to those is accruing points. Those prices were in $224 - $246 range. Would love to find something less expensive but still meeting our needs, if possible.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

SL, this thread is from last year. You would be much better off starting a new thread.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best part of Portland to stay in?

ok. thanks!