We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights

ca
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Portland Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights

Headed to Portland today from Crescent City with 3 kids - 2-7 years old.

Here are the things we want to do. What's the best way to set this up so that we can accomplish as much as possible? What to keep or leave out?

1st day - driving to Portland from Crescent City. 5.5 hour drive. Is their anything we can do on the way or have time left to do?

2nd day

3rd day

4th day

5th day - driving from Portland to Ashland. 4.5 hour drive. Is their anything we can do on the way to Ashland?

Things we want to do:

- Columbia River Gorge

- OMSI

- Day trip to coast - Cannon Beach or other. Maybe combine with Tillamook?

- Hood River/Mt. Hood - I've heard about a railway? Train trip? Would love to take the kids on one of these

- Timberline Lodge

- The Saturday Market

- Washington Park - with zoo, Rose Garden

Am I missing anything? We're staying at Residence Inn at the Riverplace.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Portland Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights

Whilst you are in Portland you might like to take a river boat cruise. We like them because it gives us a different perspective than just seeing things from the street . . . and you don't have to worry about the traffic! Here are some links:

http://www.portlandspirit.com/

http://www.willamettejet.com/index.php

Before you decide to go to Crater Lake, it is a good idea to check to see what the conditions are like. If it's cloudy or smokey, it may be a waste of time, in my experience, as you don't really see that 'azure' blue. Here is a link to photos - the *real time* photos are below the pretty banner photo :-)

http://www.craterlakelodges.com/webcam/

ca
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Portland Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights

Thanks everyone. We headed to CRG. We only had half a day so only managed to get to Multnomah Falls (and all the falls before it). They were truly amazing sights. Bonneville Dam was closed when we got there.

So, here's my question. I really wanted to see Hood River...heard wonderful things about it. But then my plan was to go to Cannon Beach and Tillamook tomorrow. However, I've been doing some research on the coast day trip and not sure if I'd rather not go to Hood River. I thought Tillamook might be fun for the cheese factory but have read mixed reviews. As for Cannon Beach, we've been up north along Crescent City and a little bit to Gold Beach.

What do you think? Hood River/Timberline or Cannon Beach/Tillamook? I'm from the SF Bay Area.

Thanks in advance. Last minute planning...thank you soooo much for the all the feedback.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Portland Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights

I would opt for the gorge and Hood River area. Cannon Beach is very nice, but the gorge is something completely different from the bay area for you. If you do CB though, I would not bother with Tillamook. I would spend the time at the beach instead.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Portland Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights

The reason - IMO - that there are mixed reviews for Tillamook Cheese is that it is *very* crowded and you just look into the packing area. It's kind of a long way to go for what - to me - is a rather dull experience. Buy some Tillamook ice cream in a grocery store or ice cream shop and call it good, LOL.

You may have been reading other threads and posts about the summer crowds at the coast this year so I'd opt for the other direction on a weekend. Can't be much worse. I've lived on the coast for many years (in a row!) - still do, and both DH and I are convinced that this year is busier than ever!

There are a couple of good museums in Hood River; we really enjoyed the car one but it may be "booooring" for young children, LOL. The weather will be much warmer east.

15. Re: Portland Itinerary - 5 days/4 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 18, 2014