We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newport/portland suggestions

Shawnee
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
newport/portland suggestions

My husband and I (early 30s) are visiting July 29th-August 2nd. I have a couple of questions: we are spending one day in Newport and staying at the Inn at Nye Beach. I'm looking for ideas on things to do that are laid-back. Would love a boating tour, or a great restaurant with coastal view. Also, looking to spend a day in Portland at some breweries. Would like to find a little section of maybe 2 good ones within walking distance of each other. I have reviewed many websites, but would love some personal opinions. I saw one idea of going to Deschutes and the Tugboat brewery and staying in hotel Benson. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: newport/portland suggestions

A lot to do in Newport. not sure what you might consider laidback.

Nye Beach has some trendy shops, very good beach, Yaquina Art Museum is local artists, Across bridge is Marine Science Center and Aquarium. hist bayfront very walkable

Then laid back could be a chair on the beach

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: newport/portland suggestions

Newport has a bay tour on the Marine Discovery. There are also two lighthouses. If you like oysters, you might like to visit the oyster farm up the Bay road.

Dining with ocean view? Limited. Georgie's, April's, Starfish Grill. Bay views - Saffron Salmon. In Depoe Bay, Tidal Raves but you must book well ahead.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: newport/portland suggestions

Phirl mentioned some great ideas. We really like Local Ocean for lunch or dinner in Newport. It looks out over the boats, and if it is warm enough they open the large glass garage doors, which is nice. Very good food and reasonably priced for what it is, IMO.

Have you looked at Rogue Brewery there too? There are 2 locations, one on the bayfront which is just a restaurant and the other is over near the science center across the bay, which is the actual brewery as well as restaurant. They also have a distillery at this location. Good pub style food, and of course a lot of beer:) They do tours as well during the week.

Shawnee
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: newport/portland suggestions

Thanks for all the suggestions; great ideas! Mtngrl, I had looked at Local Ocean, I will try it!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: newport/portland suggestions

Local Ocean Seafoods and Saffron Salmon are both great choices for lunch and dinner on the Newport bayfront. I'll also suggest Restaurant Beck in the Whale Cove Inn (overlooking Whale Cove) just south of Depoe Bay -- maybe 15 minutes from Nye Beach. Owner-chef Justin Wills is a multiple James Beard nominee and his menu features some of Oregon's most inventive and tastiest cuisine. He's especially adept with pork belly, scallops and creative ice creams.

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: newport/portland suggestions

A couple of other brewpubs within walking distance are Rogue and Bridgeport. Rogue is at 1339 NW Flanders and Bridgeport at 1313 NW Marshall. There is also Rock Bottom which is downtown.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: newport/portland suggestions

We had dinner with friends last night at The Chowder Bowl in Nye Beach and we all agreed it was better than average. While it doesn't have an ocean view, it sets only steps from Nye Beach.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: newport/portland suggestions

The Rogue - Brewers on the Bay - in South Beach (across the bridge from Newport) is tremendously noisy. We were there Tues night and it was *so loud* and busy we couldn't stay. That is summer on the coast and it won't get less busy until late October. The price we pay for living in paradise ;-)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: newport/portland suggestions

Half-Brit--we have been there several times this summer and have not had any noise issuesFWIW.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: newport/portland suggestions

How wonderful! You must have been very lucky (or been there at off times..), although you are probably used to more noise than we are.

Let me know next time you visit the coast and maybe we can get together!

:-)