We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Gorge Hikes

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best Gorge Hikes

Hi, now that we are staying an extra day to see/hike the Columbia Gorge area, I was wondering if I could get some hiking suggestions. I've been reading posts and visiting Gorge websites for information on hiking. That's great, but I like to rely more on opinions of people who have done some of the hikes. We are a couple in our 50s who like moderate, scenic hikes in the 5 to 10 mile range. We have our own vehicle and will have a full day to drive the Historic Highway, see falls and hike. Then we have a place booked in The Dalles for the night. Any suggestions for possible hikes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

Personal favorites include Dog Mtn, Hamilton Mtn, Triple Falls, and Eagle Creek(which can be as long or as short as you like).

Since you will be in The Dalles, keep going east on I-84 to Biggs and cross the bridge into WA. There is a Stonehenge replica there. On hwy 14 head west to Maryhill Winery (wines are not thr great but the views are) and then Maryhill Museum. Not too far past that is Horsethief Butte which is another favorite of ours. You can either scramble over the rocks into the canyon or take the short trail just to the right of the bathroom. It is very popular with rock climbers.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,173 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

If you drive the Historic Columbia River Highway you would probably like an easy hike if you turn right at the Y in the road there (going eastbound) up Larch Mountain Road. It's 14 drivable miles and there is a short hike that will take you to a viewing platform that has all the mountains listed as you stand and look in different directions. It's quite breath taking.

Also Wahclella Falls is good as is Beacon Rock on the Washington side. Beacon is an extinct volcano tip with switchbacks that lead to the top and a great view. You can look up the history of Beacon Rock. It's absolutely great!

Most of the waterfalls are on the HCRH and viewable from the old highway. So hiking is up to you.

We use www.nwhiker.com at Multnomah Falls. If you take the HCRH from Troutdale you will end up in The MF parking lot (or if going from Troutdale it would be the Bridal Veil exit. If coming from The Dalles you would enter this area from I-84 at Dodson.) Upon leaving MF, if going east you will merge with 84 just past Ainsworth State Park.

Are you confused now? Let me know please.

Best,

MrsO

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

Thanks MrsO. Not confusing really. I've been looking at maps and websites so everything kind of made sense. We really enjoy hiking and are looking forward to finding a trail or two to try out. I understand Multnomah Falls can get fairly crowded. We'll be there on a Monday so maybe less crowded than the weekend. Seems like a good place to start. Any recommendations for a nice place to stop for lunch?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,173 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

Sure it depends on what you want.

Some eat a hotdog from the take out below the falls next to the Visitor Information Center. Or the nice Lodge with the Atrium but it is considered spendy (although a hamburger costs about the same as usual anywhere)

In Cascade Locks there is the Charburger beneath the bridge. I love their hamburgers as I sit at a big plate glass window overlooking the river. they are cafeteria style so you pick up your dessert and whatever then order your lunch or dinner.

In Hood River, depending on what you want again, there is Full Sail Brewery or if you prefer wine, Nora's.

You will find lots of places to eat in the CRGNSA.

MrsO

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

Thank you! That's perfect. We are very interested in trying Oregon wine and beer, especially microbreweries. We get a very limited selection of Oregon products in Ontario.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,173 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

I understand that. A Canadian friend just brought some Tim's coffee when he visited.

There are Lots of brewpubs around here.

In Gresham out near the Gorge (a neighbor) has a well rated tap room called Hoppy Brewer's I think. He just got rated to sell his own too. Great stuff. Glad we tasted before he went public.

Have fun.

MrsO

portland or
Level Contributor
212 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

Eagle creek, angels rest and upper latourelle are beautiful and easy to moderate hikes. Chk out walking man brewer in Stevenson WA and double mountain brew in hood river too!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

Are there hiking trail brochures available @motels in the area? I've got so many notes and directions...need something concise.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,173 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

There is one you won't lose. www.nwhiker.com will show you hikes in this area. Multnomah Falls has hiking maps in the Visitor Information Center.

Good luck

MrsO

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Gorge Hikes

Thanks Mrs O!