We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

My sister and I have 3.5 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington. I have been everywhere. She has never travelled. I want to show her as much as possible from August 3 to August 7. ( flying in and out of portland) i do not mind driving as long as it is scenic. We are water people. I have mentioned the beach, waterfalls, the ferry, and whale watching. She is very excited but I do not know how to fit it all in. We are ok with short walks but no long hikes. Can someone help me fit as much as possible into three days?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,830 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

Welcome to Trip Advisor Forums. This forum is to help members ask questions about TA's features and functions. What you are looking for is the Oregon and Washington Fora. You may want to read the top questions in each of the fora and then post your question there. 3.5 days is quite short and you may need that to just do Portland and surrounding areas.

Why not start with Portland via this link and you can then expand to other parts of Oregon

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g52024-i238-Portla…

Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

Since I have been to the area many times. I really wanted my sister to see the Oregon coast (canon beach), the waterfalls, and a ferry ride and whale watching. I just can not figure out the best driving route or loop from Portland to see everything. I have looked at the Portland forum and the Washington forum, but I was hoping for a combination that was north portland coast and Washington. I can't find a good plan that includes both.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

Hi Rachel. What belomiser was saying is THIS forum is about how to use this website. You should post travel questions on the appropriate destination forum. Belomiser suggested this one. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g52024-i238-Portla…

Or maybe for your question the Road Trips forum could be useful too. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

If you look above your question you'll see what is called breadcrumbs, they help you find your way around.

Browse forums___ All___TripAdvisor Support forum

If you click on All you can navigate to other forums. Support is for help with the website. For questions about trips you need to post on the relevant forum/s.

Edited: 11:12 pm, July 04, 2013
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

D'oh! I should read properly. You DID look at the Portland forum? Well, it's still a travel question, and sometimes they just don't fit neatly so pick the nearest general forum. Or if asking for support I guess it's more a question of *where is the best place to post a multi-state US road trip question on* rather than posting the actual question.

Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

I apologize. I understand. I am asking in the wrong forum.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,825 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

Hi Rachel ~

TA is not designed for new members to easily get around. So some tips that may be helpful for you as you begin to actively use the website.

Type the name of the location you want + the word forum in the search field above the green navigation bar. Works every time. e.g. Portland Forum.

Or you can use the green navigation bar where you can see the word "More." Here you choose "Travel Forum" which opens to a directory of forums. On the left are all the Destination Travel Forums, on the right are all the "other" beyond destination forums which open up in to a much longer list. Those are fun to browse through from time to time. I like the Gadgets and Gear Forum that's in that list. Cool ideas show up there all the time for travelling.

As well, each and every forum has Top Questions to the right of the page. Always a good idea to read through those, maybe before posting.

I can assure you that the Portland Forum will bring you replies from regular posters who know both Oregon and Washington well. I like how you have included your dates, your time frame, your arrival and departure city. And you've got a clear question to ask. Very helpful for those reading your post.

Edited: 1:44 am, July 05, 2013
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

>>I like how you have included your dates, your time frame, your arrival and departure city. And you've got a clear question to ask. Very helpful for those reading your post.<<

I agree with that, I wish everyone would include the sorts of things the people replying need to know :-) Have a great trip, it's a lovely part of the world from what I've heard!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the forums! We have moved your topic from the TA Support forum here to the Portland Oregon forums as you mentioned that you are flying in and out of Portland. Hopefully, members who are familiar with the Portland area, can give you some great suggestions for surrounding areas of Portland. Feel free to follow up in the suggested destination forums with any questions that you then have for those specific destinations such as Canon Beach or where ever you develop an interest.

Thanks for participating and enjoy your trip!

TA_Louise

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

Day trip to CGSRA (Columbia Gorge Scenic Recreation Area) and Multnomah Falls. Maybe make it a loop up to Mt. Hood, Government Camp, etc. Take the scenic drive rather than I-84 the whole time.

Head out to the coast, perhaps on US 30. You can take the scenic car ferry from Westport, OR to Cathlamet, WA, and then continue out WA SR4 to Long Beach, WA and/or Astoria, OR. Then drive down US 101 on the OR coast as far as you care to, perhaps as far as Tillamook, and then cut back over to the valley and up to Portland. That is probably a 2-day trip.

Have fun.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,843 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Portland, Oregon and Washington

I am glad you got the forum issue straightened out. Now, on to your actual query. You have very little time. Since you have been here before, you may remember the scale of this region. It is huge. With 3.5 days, you should stay in Oregon, preferably on the coast, perhaps with a trip to the Gorge as well. That is more than enough. Whale watching will take a whole day. I'll leave it to the OR DEs to suggest a whale watching tour. This leaves you with 2.5 days.

Be realistic. Do not attempt to add WA to your itinerary. WA has beaches that rival those of OR, but those beaches are all in remote Olympic National Park. They are much too far for you to reach during your limited time frame. Long Beach and the other stretches of WA coast are simply not in Oregon's league. They are downright dull in comparison to the OR coast. The state of WA is full of magnificent beauty, but you do not have time to show it to your sister. Concentrate on OR, and she will not be disappointed.