We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland 8/7-11/13

Greenfield MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Portland 8/7-11/13

Husband and I (both 60ish), are taking Amtrak to Portland after a visit to our son in San Francisco in early August. A few questions: 1) warm weather gear or layers for either? raincoats? 2) is it possible to go on a day tour of Mount Hood? 3) is it really a $35 taxi ride to airport (we're flying home to MA on 8/11) 4) We've been fans of airbnb; but are wondering if we should stay in a hotel for this one since we don't know the city and hotels can be good resources - and if so, would you suggest a hotel? We have no interest in renting a car; and are very comfortable with masstransit or walking.

Thank you! We look forward to our visit! Any and all suggestions are welcome! I've already picked up a few ideas from other Forum Discussions.

We are really excited to visit Powells and the Japanese Garden....

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Mount Hood
Mount Hood
486 Reviews
Hood River, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,282 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland 8/7-11/13

Dr Sharon,

Your best bet is taking a tour. There are several there. Martins and Eco come to mind but I haven't taken them.. I have seen their visitors come into Multnomah Falls and they seem happy.

Best,

MrsO

Mentioned in this post
Multnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls
2,623 Reviews
Bridal Veil, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland 8/7-11/13

Mark Twain once said "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

You shouldn't need rain gear for August in Portland, and probably not for SF either. Portland's August weather is quite consistent, though if you go to the coast you might get fog, which is what SF gets, so it can be 90 degrees in PDX and 60 degrees at the coast.

Regarding taxi, it really is $35 to the airport, but you can take the MAX train from downtown for much less, and it goes straight to PDX.

Regarding a hotel, the downtown area has many nice hotels, but without knowing your price range and dates, it is hard to recommend a specific one. The Heathman or Riverplace at the high end, and maybe also the Nines; the Hotel Modera and the various Marriots, and the Vintage Plaza in the middle.

Don't know about Mt. Hood without a car. It's an hour or so each way driving, so you can do it in a day, including Hood River, Multnomah Falls, etc, in a long-ish day, but maybe a tour per Mrs O above is the right idea.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Multnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls
2,623 Reviews
Bridal Veil, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland 8/7-11/13

Warm weather gear. Sometimes the mornings are chilly and the afternoons hot. So light layers. Nice hotels in Portland are many. The Benson, The Heathman, Embassy Suites, Inn at Northrup Station, Lucia, etc. Pick the one you like the best and plan from there

Mentioned in this post
Greenfield MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland 8/7-11/13

Hello all,

Thank you for the ideas. We're actually going to stay with an airbnb host, so don't need the hotel ideas after all. I appreciate your suggestions for clothes, tours, and how to get to the airport!

Any and all other ideas about what to do or see, or not do or see will be appreciated!

5. Re: Portland 8/7-11/13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 08, 2014