We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manzanita vs. Rockaway

Portland
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Manzanita vs. Rockaway

Hello,

I'm newer to the Oregon Coast and I'm looking for opinions on the best weekend beach spots. I've done the Cannon Beach thing, and I'm looking for a similar experience in a quieter, cheaper area. I think I've narrowed it down to Manzanita or Rockaway Beach. Any info from those who know the areas would be helpful, or if anyone wants to reccommend a different area on the North Coast that would be great too.

I'm on a budget, but my only requirement is that I NEED to fall asleep while listening to the waves. My ideal itinerary (2 days) would involve hanging out on the beach, going for a short hike, visitng a local art gallery/strolling through town, and dining-out at the end of the day. I don't need any trendy shops but I'd like some sort of civilization. I'm up for any suggestions for which places would be best suited for this, particularly Manzanita vs. Rockaway. Any info on good hotels/motels (pet friendly), or any beach camping in the area would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Manzanita vs. Rockaway

DL,

Property anywhere along the coast would be a good investment, especially if you have even a glmips of the ocean. IMO, Waldport, south of Newport, has some of the best values right now. There is a large planned subdivision that if constructed, will most likely drive exisitng values way up.

As for Rockway Beach verses Manzanita, I have no issues with Rockaway. My observation is just that, an observation after living in the area for 35 years. IMO, the property values in Manzanita have been artificially high for 20 years or more (we still own a house in Manzanita). They have begun to level off a bit in the last year or so, therefore, not only are you more likely to find a better value in Rockaway Beach, it is more likely to appreciate quicker as well.

Den

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Manzanita vs. Rockaway

Thanks. The studys suggest that Cali, Or, and Fl are up to 70% over priced. But there is a issue of supply. If I could secure something for a few years to build on when I retire that would be great. Depending on what/if restrictions they would have.

this TX drought is getting old....

DL