We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

Vancouver
Level Contributor
18 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

I've been to Portland many times, done most of the breweries in the vicinity, Pearl District, Saturday markets & Farmers Markets, Zoo, Forktown Food Tour, Children's Museum, Hillboro shopping, Outlets in Woodburn, etc.

I have a trip coming up Mid July and looking for some Friday/Sat suggestions that might a little less known that are appropriate for a family of 4 with 3 & 6 year old kids. Not wanting to drive out to far, would rather tour in and around the city (anywhere that public transit can take us is fine). I'll repeat a few of my favorites, but wanted to know if there are any places that people had visited with family that they just happened up that was great but isn't advertised as well or in the usual Top 10?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

Have you been to the World Forestry Center up by the Portland Zoo, or OMSI?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

There is the North Clackamas Aquatic Park or even one of the outdoor city of Portland pools- Sellwood or Grant? Im wondering if they might be a bit to young for Fort Vancouver National Historic Park-

What about Oaks Amusement Park-not really a tourist stop but a classic local kid area.

Edited: 12:50 am, June 25, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
719 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden - you might want to bring a little cracked corn. Oaks Park is good. The best outdoor public pool for kids is Wilson pool, but at that age they'd probably have as much swimsuit-type fun at either Jamison Square Fountain, Salmon Street Springs or the Teacher's Fountain in Director Park. If you don't bring swimsuits then bring a change of clothes.

portland or
Level Contributor
212 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

another vote for Oaks Park, and also for OMSI. There is a glo in the dark putt putt downtown our 5 yr old nephew enjoyed. Also the jet boat on the Willamette is great fun, not sure if 4 might be too little or scary though. Iceskating at Lloyd Center in inner NE (off max line, it's a mall).

Vancouver
Level Contributor
18 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

The mini golf sounds like a good place to stop by while beetling around downtown, also interested in Sellwood (never been there). Also have considered the Forestry Centre many times, but always end up at the Zoo or Childrens museum again. Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

I'd try the following:

Playdate PDXin Nw Portland

Salmon street springs

The fields (new park in the Pearl)

Jamison square

Keller fountain downtown

Love joy fountain downtown

oaks amusement park

Edited: 11:14 pm, June 29, 2013
Vancouver
Level Contributor
18 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

Well we signed up for Afternoon Tea at the Heathman, the kids menu looks quite fun.

heathmanrestaurantandbar.com/teacourt.html

Now just need somewhere to go after dinner, I think some of the parks and fountains would be a good way to wind down and burn off excess energy.

8. Re: Looking for Off Beat fun places in Portland for Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 04, 2014