We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia River Gorge with RV

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Flagstaff, Arizona
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Columbia River Gorge with RV

Traveling in July to Portland. We are pulling our trailer and are about 50' total and are wondering if there is enough parking at the different pullouts at the waterfalls in the Columbia River area. We are traveling along I-84 east to west. ALL information is appreciated :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbia River Gorge with RV

Mrs_O is our resident expert for the Gorge, and also happens to be an RVer, as am I :-)

You aren't thinking of the historic highway with your trailer, are you? That would not be good.

Are you planning any overnights along this stretch? The easiest way to see the prettiest areas along the old highway would be to stay at an RV park and unhook to use your tow rig to drive around.

Do you have a time frame?

Flagstaff, Arizona
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbia River Gorge with RV

We are traveling to OR in late July and will be in the gorge area on a Sunday. We only have 1/2 day there. We will be coming in from Ontario, OR traveling to Wilsonville, OR and want to stop and see some of the gorge. Can you suggest a route or plan? Thanks for the info on the "old" highway...I was wondering about that. I can't find any info on the state or the NFS websites. Thank you :) Our schedule is a bit flexible, I would love to stay somewhere along the way. Any good recommendations on a site with hookups would be great. Also, any recommendation for just a half day :(

Edited: 10:22 pm, June 21, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbia River Gorge with RV

Definetly would not suggest the old historic highway- the views from the interstate are still pretty nice, but recommend a trip in your tow rig would be worth the time... I'm not aware of alot of choices in that area for bigger RVs, but you may want to check out Memaloose SP(not the best location wise, but may accomidate your rig) also I think they have hookups at the Port of Cascade Locks- but there is a height restriction due to the railroad tracks... http://portofcascadelocks.org/campground/

I think the best bet for the half day with a big rig would be Bonneville Dam Fish Hatchery- I think they have a large lot here- and Multnomah Falls-which is accessable off I-84.

Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
242 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbia River Gorge with RV

We were at several falls on a Friday in early June, and we had trouble finding parking at some of the falls with a regular car. I think only at Bridal Veils and Eagle Creek there was lots of parking space available when we arrived. With Latourell and Multnomah there were just one or two spots available, and we were lucky to get one. I'm not sure, but I don't think I saw any spaces specifically designed for RV's either (but I could be mistaken).

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,594 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbia River Gorge with RV

Hello there,

Yes, I agree that the rig may/probably would be an issue. Especially on a weekend. On some weekends, the freeway parking lot even gets closed due to too many cars. But if that is the only time you can stop maybe you will be lucky and find a rig just leaving.

If you could arrange it so you have two days there (or in the area) I would suggest Portland Fairview RV Park. It's had very nice reviews. It's in a city named Fairview, right next to Troutdale. Troutdale is the entrance to the CRGNSA.

I hope you can work it out.

Best,

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbia River Gorge with RV

We've stayed at Fairview RV park several times and it's pleasant and conveniently located for the west end of the Gorge.

How long are you staying in Wilsonville? I assume Pheasant Ridge? It's actually not too far to drive back to the west end of the gorge from there ... about an hour I believe.

Farther east, Cascade Locks has a KOA. It's not new - it wasn't new when we first stayed there in 1992! - so the spaces will be narrowish but that might be an option. You avoid the underpass going there - it's far too low for a 5th wheel.

There are several other places to stay, but not all have hookups. Memaloose is an oddity that has no eastbound access!

Think about it and let us know if you need more specific information about RV parks in this area.

One book that is *extremely* useful is called "Pacific Northwest Camping Destinations" by Mike and Terri Church. It is very useful - they are RVers, not tenters, so they understand RV requirements :-)

7. Re: Columbia River Gorge with RV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 25, 2014