We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay...SW Waterfront or near PSU?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay...SW Waterfront or near PSU?

Hello, the Hubby and I are planning a 1-week stay in Portland this August. I love it there and my goal is to get him to fall in-love too. We plan on exploring different parts of the city. Through a vacation rental site I found 2 appealing condos. One on SW Waterfront drive (right in front of the street car) and the other on SW 10th Ave near PSU. The waterfront is a beautiful highrise with amazing night views and the downtown more vintage, but possibly more "in the middle" of things. My husband was concerned with the waterfront being industrial after looking at a map, but for me I liked the idea of morning walks on the waterfront with the availability of getting to downtown quickly on the street car. To be honest, I am not too sure if the PSU area is even a nice area of downtown. As you can tell, we are having trouble deciding and would appreciate any local insight. Thanks! Much love.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay...SW Waterfront or near PSU?

You've got it about right. S. Waterfront is good for mornings, downtown for evenings.

There are now a couple of decent restaurants in the S. Waterfront area (including a very good Vietnamese one, but I'm blanking on the name), but in general there is little to no nightlife there, if that's what you're looking for. SW 10th near PSU is, as you have figured out, more in the thick of things, with bars and easy access to nightlife. The streetcar is great, but doesn't run very frequently at night (every 20 mins), so you could be waiting a long time.

But if you're more a morning person and running/walking on the river sounds good, then go for the S. Waterfront. Also, the condos there are new and more likely to be nice (they're more expensive).

The area by 10th and SW Market, Montgomery, and Market is nice enough, and close to the center of town. It's maybe a little student-y, if that's a thing.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay...SW Waterfront or near PSU?

Great points, thank you.

It's good to know that the street car runs every 20 min.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay...SW Waterfront or near PSU?

Streetcar stops about 11:30pm, as well. Maybe later on weekends. Schedule is online.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay...SW Waterfront or near PSU?

Think if you want your husband to love it, do what he prefers. Not sure if the industrial part would be a problem. biggest thing in area now is more construction of high rises

PSU is busy place, would wonder how much school activity you would find. though in Aug may be less.

Think i would choose 10th, cause it is more Portland like. been there forever. waterfront brand new stuff.

5. Re: Where to stay...SW Waterfront or near PSU?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 15, 2014