We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
533 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Portland trip report

Used radio cab to get from airport to Heathman hotel...quick and easy

Checked in to hotel late Wednesday night...overall nice hotel but I wasn't blown away by anything

Hit Mother's for breakfast Thursday am which was excellent. Then went to the rise gardens-it was a beautiful day and thevrisescwere gorgeous

Walked down 23rd st in Nob Hill-lots of cute little shops. Popped into the crystal ballroom and rams head but both were quite so we went to Henry's to have a drink on the patio But again those weird alcohol rules we had a baby so we were not allowed to sit outside they tell us after they brought our drinks so we had to go inside and finish

Walked around the Pearl district, loved Deschuttes brewery as well as Rogue

Had a light lunch from the food cart pod on Adler-sampled some small bites and they were all great! Went back to hotel to relax and take part in their wine/library happy hour

Dinner was at andina which was great. It was also first Thursday so we walked around the art booths.

Friday am hit Voodoo doughnuts for breakfast. I am not a doughnut person but these really were excellent! Get a few and have bites from each. There's a hertz right there so we rented a car and headed out to Williamette Valley for some wine tasting. We went to many different vineyards I won't go into all of them but they were each good in their own way. Again weird liquor laws, some you could have a glass of wine on their grounds others you couldn't

Dinner was at Little Bird which I thought was good but nothing amazing. It was so ice on the walk back we decided to stop at the Nines and have a drink at the Departure Lounge-somehow here it was fine to have the baby! We ended up getting lucky with a great table and got to see fireworks!

Saturday we got an early start so

London, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Hello,

We are staying at The Inn @ Northrop Station in the Nob Hill District in July, can you tell me which restaurant you would rec. the most for a family of four, with two kids?

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Sound fun! What did you order at Little Bird? It's one of our favorites in Portland. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

RCMommy, if you want a good place that is close, try Wildwood, it is easy walking distance, good food, appropriate for kids. Get a reservation at Paley's if you want really fine dining, but it is expensive and may not be for your kids (depending on age and taste). There are also approximately 817 million other restaurants on NW 21st and NW 23rd to choose from.

BTW, no one in Portland calls that area "Nob Hill". For a moment, I thought you were talking about San Francisco. Some local merchants have tried to slap the "Nob Hill" name on it. Just say "Northwest 23rd".

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

If you like pizza, go to Escape From New York. Wildwood previously mentioned is also very good. I would make a reservation there also. :)

nj
Level Contributor
533 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

Well, our cousin lives in Portland and referred to the area as Nob Hill as well as our hotel so that is why I called it that

Deschuttes looked like it had good food...lots of families and you can sample some brews

I had the hangar steak at little bird but had to send it back because it was too spicy

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report

Depending on their ages, I wouldn't say Wildwood is particularly kid friendly either. More of a fine dining kind of restaurant. Serratto would be good though; it even has a kid's menu.

Ah yes... "Nob Hill." I've lived in the area for over 45 years, but can't recall ever hearing NW Portland referred to by that name until the last 20 or so. Maybe not so coincidentally, during that same time, Oregon was experiencing mass immigration from the state that shares its southwestern border. ;-)

Edited: 6:45 pm, June 11, 2013
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report

Oh, the old "Nob Hill" debate flares up again! This always humors me. I have lived in Portland for over 40 years and as long as I can remember, people have called it Nob Hill. Many of the businesses that have websites mention they are in the "Nob Hill" area. There is even a website specific to this area - http://nwpdxnobhill.com/

More Nob Hill references

travelportland.com/communities/neighborhoods…

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…_Oregon

urbanspoon.com/n/…Nob-Hill-Uptown-restaurants

Thanks for posting your report. I love Andina! Haven't been to Little Bird but probably because I wasn't impressed with Le Pigeon.

Edited: 11:28 am, June 12, 2013
London, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report

This is funny. I actually emailed the hotel we are staying at and asked which area of the city they are located, or consider themselves in. I told them I was researching what is nearby and many of the sites I look at or books I read separate areas by the district name. They emailed the response "Nob Hill" I have come across a number of references referring to the areas of "Nob Hill" "Pearl District" "Old Town" etc.

As for the dining, we are not fancy eaters. If I cannot identify it, I don't eat it :) We do like a good steak with a glass of wine, but also enjoy a pizza on a patio. Are many of the places mentioned above, within walking distance to our hotel?

alabama
Level Contributor
138 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report

How was the Radio Cab as opposed to the light rail? We are not renting a car and need transportation to the Paramount Hotel. What was the Radio Cab cost?

nj
Level Contributor
533 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report

$32 more convenient