We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route From Vancouver to Portland during 16 days

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
114 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Route From Vancouver to Portland during 16 days

I´m planning a 16 days trip to Vancouver - Victoria, Seattle and Portland. Could someone help me plan how to divide those day on this route? I do not know how many days to stay in each city. I´ll be with car from Vancouver. Thanks in advance.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,716 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route From Vancouver to Portland during 16 days

Just to be clear....you want to include the city of Vancouver, B.C., the town of Victoria (on Vancouver Island), Seattle and Portland in a 16-day itinerary, right? Does that include arrival and departure flight days? Have you decided which city you want to fly in and out of?

If you are only wanting to see the cities and not travel outside of them, you don't really even need a car. Vancouver doesn't need one. From Vancouver, you can take the ferry to Victoria and then the Victoria Clipper to Seattle. The Amtrak Cascades train connects Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. All those cities are easily seen by public transportation. This will relieve you of the hassle and extra expenses of driving a rental car across the border.

If, however, you wan to explore places outside of the cities (Olympic or Mt. Rainier National Parks, Mt. St. Helens, Columbia Gorge, etc.), you will need a car.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route From Vancouver to Portland during 16 days

If it was me, and I'm somewhat outdoorsy, I would break up my trip this way (assuming it was one-way):

-- 2-3 days in Vancouver

-- 1 day in Victoria

-- 1 day: Ferry to Port Angeles, drive to Crescent Lake or maybe Forks area, explore

-- 1 day: Slow drive to (maybe) Ocean Shores

-- Drive to Seattle

-- 2 (more) days in Seattle

-- Drive to St. Helens, visit, drive to Portland (very long day, could be 2 days with stop in Castle Rock)

-- 3 days in Portland

-- Drive to Timberline, then to Maupin, stay in Hood River

-- Day in Columbia Gorge, maybe 2

-- Back to Portland

That's about 16 days, with a little buffer. Simplified, this is 3 days each in the big cities: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, 2 days for the Olympic Peninsula, a day for the Pacific Ocean, a day for St. Helens, a day for Mt. Hood, and a day for the Columbia River Gorge, with a day of random transit thrown in. But it's a lot of driving -- I put a version on Google Maps which you might be able to access: http://goo.gl/maps/y5AjO -- and it was 1350km or almost 850 miles.

If you're not into the outdoorsy thing as much, skip the Olympic Peninsula. It is amazing and majestic, and one of the few wild temperate rainforests in the world, but you can spend a lot of time there, and it's not really on the way to anywhere. There is a ferry to Port Angeles from Victoria, but then you're bypassing Seattle. But to my mind, Highway 101 around the Peninsula is well worth it, though "rustic" -- no big hotels, and lots of opportunity for hiking, but few shops or anything. Most of the Peninsula is National Forest or National Seashore.

Back onto the main freeway (I-5), Mount Saint Helens (the Johnstone Ridge Observatory) is absolutely worth visiting, though again it is a long-ish drive from the main road. You should see the Columbia Gorge and Mt. Hood (Timberline). A trip to the coast (either in Washington or Oregon) is suggested.

If this is the wrong track, then say so. Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver offer world-class urban experiences as well.

Have fun!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route From Vancouver to Portland during 16 days

Not Ocean Shores. Compared to the magnificent beaches of Olympic National Park, it is downright dull. If you want to see some beautiful wild beaches - and you have not expressed an interest in doing so - the Oregon Coast and Olympic National Park are where to go.

Could you give us more information about your interests?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route From Vancouver to Portland during 16 days

If you pick up a rental car in Canada and drop it in Portland, you are going to get hit with a huge one-way drop fee.

5. Re: Route From Vancouver to Portland during 16 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 11, 2014