We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches?

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches?

Will be in portland for labor day weekend. Being completely ignorant of the landscape and public transit system...are there any public beaches in Portland and secondly, any accessibly by public transit? I realize that oregon beaches might not be the same as California or Florida ones, but I just visited alki beach in seattle and i enjoyed it.

thanks!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,283 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches?

We don't have anything like Alki here, sorry. There is Sauvie Island, but personally, if I am wanting to head to a beach, I head over to Cannon Beach. The coast here is about 90 minutes from Portland and is an easy drive. I am not aware of any public transportation, but you could rent a car for a day as it is a great day trip.

Level Contributor
36,953 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches?

We've done a couple of shows on Sauvie Island. I agree, Alki Beach in Seattle is cool. We loved the Salty's there. Head over to Cannon Beach/Seaside are for a real coastal experience.

Any further questions on the northern coast, feel free to ask. We love the area and will be back in the area soon for an extended stay in the Astoria/Seaside area. Cheers! :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches?

For public transport from Portland to the Coast, the Greyhound does stop in Seaside and Tillamook I know, I assume they stop in Astoria, but I am not sure, so that might be an option for you.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches?

550 NW 6th Ave is the address for the Greyhound Station, here in town.

I suggest renting a car also, you can get one for about $35 a day, it is a 90 min drive to the Coast (Cannon Beach) from downtown Portland.

I do have a feeling though, that Labor Day in Portland is much like other cities I have lived in which would spell Traffic for you on your vacation.

There is so much to do here in town, you might be satisfied with skipping the beaches this time ( come back again!! lol)

Anything we Portlanders can help you with, just ask~

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches?

http://tinyurl.com/nstzc

Here is the Trip Advisor page of Beach photos from users, so let this inspire you to bring your camera, even if you don't go to the beach, Portland is great for photographers..even beginners.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches?

Government Island and Rooster Rock are a couple of other options. Rooster Rock is a little east of Portland. Part of the beach is designated "clothing optional" as well, so you are not surprised when you get there :-0

Den

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,283 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches?

Dennis--LOL, when my brother and I were in college, we used to stop at Rooster Rock for our halfway point on drives back home. I remember the first time stopping there and seeing way more than i had bargained for!

Sauvie Island also has a clothing optional area.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches?

>>We've done a couple of shows on Sauvie Island.<<

>>Sauvie Island also has a clothing optional area.<<

Not knowing what kind of shows they have on Sauvie's Island, I just gotta ask, is there a connection here, syrahgirl? ;-)

I agree with the other locals on this thread. Aside from boaters, many riverside beaches attract a moderately counter-cultural type crowd. When most of us talk of going to the beach, is always an ocean beach. Traffic to and from the coast will be ugly around Labor Day weekend, particularly returning to Portland on Monday. But I think you'd be fine with a day trip to Cannon Beach on either Saturday or Sunday.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,283 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches?

mistletoe--LOL!!!

10. Re: Beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, August 16, 2009