We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear?

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear?

I will be visiting Portland at the end of this week and am wondering about how to pack. The forecast says 50 to 80 degrees and mostly sunny. I am from New Orleans and when it is 80 here we wear sandals and tank tops but I am thinking that it might feel a bit cooler to me in Portland. How do people dress this time of year? Is there wind? Summer clothes or still a bit of cooler weather wear? Any information will be appreciated.

Oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear?

Even if it reaches 80 here during the afternoon, it cools off quickly as evening falls. I would bring the tank top, but don't pack all summer clothes.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear?

It will still feel much cooler to you since we do not have the humidity that you do. We wear shorts when it hits 55, lol! Definitely bring layers and as mentioned, don't pack all summer clothes.

3. Re: What to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:44 am, April 30, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear?

Thank you, that is very helpful. I suspect that you guys are right and I will feel cooler there than at home. We consider 55 winter, LOL!

Are the women wearing summer-like sandals? boots? either?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear?

I would bring both. I was in sandals today, and our nicer weather hasn't even hit yet.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear?

I think every Portlander owns at least one fleece jacket. I wore sandals yesterday but boots today. Most of us wear what is comfortable. It is a casual city with a flare for unusual attire. Don't be surprised if you see someone in a super hero cape! Ha ha!

I love Nola! Made my last trip about a year after the big hurricane to support the tourist industry. People were so thrilled that we visited. We met such incredibly friendly people and heard horrific stories from folks who had lost so much. I need to make another trip back soon! Acme oysters are calling!

7. Re: What to wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:44 am, April 30, 2013
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear?

Yup...fleece, shorts and sandals all worn together is perfectly acceptable here:)

I am in shorts and a t shirt and have been working in the yard most of the day. It was fine until the wind picked up, then it got chilly in a heartbeat.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear?

The warmth of the day does not usually come until mid to late afternoon. So wear layers that are easy to take off and with you. Unless it rains, you should be fine in sandals all day. Bring along a couple of warmer things, just in case this forecast fizzles out and we are overcast and 60 dgrees.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear?

Thanks to you all for the helpful info. And come on down for some oysters anytime!