We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle and Portland--cousins?

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle and Portland--cousins?

I am a big fan of Seattle and recently got back from my memorial day weekend there. I was just wondering if Portland is anything like Seattle (laidback vibe, friendly, lots of culture etc) and what makes it different from Seattle? I like ot visit cities with an openmind, but it's good to know what to be prepared for.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,157 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

<<"I was just wondering if Portland is anything like Seattle (laidback vibe, friendly, lots of culture etc) and what makes it different from Seattle?">>

LOL sounds like somewhere visitors like to go to , to propose LOL

Mtngrl, you were just in Seattle this weekend..did you take any fun rides :o)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

Scarlett--Yes, had a fabulous weekend up there! We go back quite a bit. LOL...no "fun rides" on this trip. The locals use the ferrys for transportation...not for entertainment. My husband commuted via the ferry fo 3 years, so to ride one for fun would NOT happen in this household, lol!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,157 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

Meanwhile, it is interesting to hear what the Portland locals and the Seattle locals have to say about this comparison, but it is also interesting to hear what a visitor to Portland and to Seattle from Çalifornia thinks...lol

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

It is entertaining:) Especially when the one visit to Seattle was years ago and for what, 2 days?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

Difference? Seattle has a NFL team. Portland doesn’t. Ok, so that is admittedly from my NFL centered POV, but I do want one <whine>

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,157 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

LOL ecolynch...sit down and have a whine :)

A hockey team would be nice too ...

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

And MLB. But at least we have the OSU Beavers! :) Course Seattle does not have a MLL team and we do...but I am sure that is only a matter of time.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

Mtngrl,

Did you mean NLL – National Lacrosse League? As season ticket holders for the NLL West Division Champs (reg season) Portland LumberJax, I am glad we got the Jax. They are an incredible team, and one I can be proud of.

Hockey would be awesome, but I love the ‘Hawks so it is hard for me to really want a NHL team, since ticket prices would become insane.

Back to the OP: do you think Seattle or Portland has more piercings per capita?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

Echo--Yes, a typo, lol! The Jax were geat to go watch! We went to quite a few of the games wow, what a great addition the team is to the Portland area. Piercings...and tatoos...that might be a toss up, lol! Of course my inlaws noticed that right away on a visit down here from Seattle.

20. Re: Seattle and Portland--cousins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 15, 2009