We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

or just a romantic weekend?

The Oregonian published their list of favorite hotels for a romantic getaway..

Timberline Lodge www.timberlinelodge.com

Stephanie Inn www.stephanieinn.com

5th Avenue Suites www.5thavenuesuites.com

Hood River Hotel www.hoodriverhotel.com

You can read about it all at

www.oregonlive.com/travelguides

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

I don't guess it's on the oregonlive site, but walking from dinner back to our friends' condo last night, we stopped in at Hotel De Luxe for a look. What a neat place! And what a great job they did with the remodel. Looks straight out of the '30's - '40's, complete with a theater running non-stop black and white films from the era.

We bumped into the exec. chef of the on-site restaurant, Gracie's, who offered to take us on a ***tour*** of the hotel. Very cool! He told the story of having just prepared a special menu and meal for a couple who had celebrated their wedding night at the Mallory, 60 years ago. Gracie's hasn't opened for dinner yet, so this couple and a few close friends were the only folks in the room. It said something to me about the place that the exec. chef would open his restaurant, just for this special occasion in this couple's life together. (By the way, Scarlett, he's formerly of Lucy's Table).

Anyway, we also saw a couple rooms. They just don't make places like this anymore, original finish carpentry all carefully and beautifully restored. And the bathrooms.... and closets. When was the last time you were in a hotel with a walk-in closet? The hallways of the hotel are lined with period black and white photos of film stars; reportedly they spent $250,000 on 'em.

As we were leaving, the anniversary-celebrating couple and party were leaving Gracie's, so we had a chance to ask them about the meal and congratulate them. Nothing but high praise.

Gracie's should open for dinner within a couple weeks. We'll give it a try, if for no other reason than last night's hospitality. I don't think we'll be disappointed. And we might even spend the night.

2. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:07 am, May 29, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

Yeah, but if you stay at the Hood River Hotel you gotta ask for a room facing south. Otherwise, that train will wake you up every two hours. Not to mention the 21-25 year old kids getting out of the chinese food restaurant / karaoke bar / dance club at 2:30 in the morning. Believe me, I've been one of those kids and we are NOT very considerate to downtown sleepers. I was much happier at Hood River's Oak Street Hotel.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

dianervia, this looks like Advertising already ..

mistletoe, I read about the party they had for the opening and some of the Hollywood types who showed up. It is a stones throw from our apt..I will have to try Gracies too!

Thanks for the report!

How was Fenouil ?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

How was Fenouil? Our friends and I think it's pretty good. But my wife isn't so sure yet. She says it will probably take another 6 - 10 visits to figure it out. So, who am I to argue? ;-)

6. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:07 am, May 29, 2006
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

dianervia, if you were being helpful, that was very nice of you.

But I notice you are "being helpful" with the same information on quite a few posts... .which looks like advertising.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

dianervia-You posted on the Tillamook forum:

Hello, it might be too late but might I suggest for the future a wonderful bed and breakfast very close to Netarts called the sandlake country inn, its a very lovely property and you can see thier website at www.sandlakecountryinn.com, keep them in mind for the future , wonderfull owners and very helpful.

I am sure you were being "helpful" there too, but you do see how this looks like advertising.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

We tried to stay up at Timberline last fall for our anniversary, but they were booked pretty far in advance. I need to be more on the ball for this year.

mistletoe--That is such a neat story about that couple and the hotel/restaurant. Sounds like they are truly committed to their customers instead of just the bottom line. I am sure that it will pay off well for them!

I am surprised that they didn't list anything in Bend. There are some beautiful places there that look like they would fit the bill very well.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a honeymoon in Portland ?

They did mention some hotels in Washington, but I wanted to keep this Oregon...if you go to the site above, you can read the rest of the hotel list.

We are going to try to go to Gracies as soon as they open now, thank you mistletoe :)