We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Hood loop

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mt. Hood loop

We need to travel from Hood River to Silver Falls State Park and then to Eugene tomorrow. We have the entire day and plan on doing the falls hike. My question is it worth taking the mt. Hood loop for the scenery eventhough it is longer than going back towards Portland through the gorge. We did have a chance to see part of the gorge and take a nice hike today. Thanks for any advice. Rob

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Hood loop

See what the weather is supposed to be like- if its sunny might be worth the trip up and around(if you do go to Timberline if the road is ok). If you had more time, Id say to drive down to Redmond(hwy 97) and then back over to Eugene(hwy126)- you could visit Smith Rock State Park along the way and do that nice hike. At any rate you'd have to do either or- aka Silver Falls or Smith Rock, but not both.

Central Oregon is completly different than Western Oregon.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Hood loop

If you get an early start you can head to Tmberline Lodge for breakfast. Then continue down the mountain and you could still be at Silver Fall by noon, hike the entire loop and be in Eugene for dinner.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Hood loop

Just realized you posted this yesterday. Let us know what you decided to do!

Edited: 11:40 am, April 01, 2013
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Hood loop

We had a great day. We drove the Mt. Hood Loop which was beautiful. It was sunny and clear from Hood River around to the meadows and then the weather changed and became misty. It's amazing how weather changes especially around large mountains. We enjoyed the rural drive to Silverton. We also thought the 10 falls loop was awesome. The falls were full, the hike was easy, the area lush and green. My son and I commented on the great condition of the paths we have hiked in Oregon. I can't imagine a nicer hike for one who wants to see a concentration of really spectacular waterfalls. Being able to go behind 4 falls also lends a different perspective. The next time we return from the east coast we will try one of the challenging hikes in the gorge. We have run out of time. I guess we will have to look at the colleges before we go home after all. Otherwise we will both be in trouble when my wife questions us about schools and all we respond with info about hikes and scenery. Thanks to everyone for all the info on my different questions. Be proud of your beautiful state.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt. Hood loop

Thanks for letting us know how it went:) Just tell your wife that you two were checking out the extra curricular activities in case your son ends up here, lol. Our kids are in college, and one often heads out hiking on the weekends.

Yes, Silver Falls is a great hike, IMO. I have been going there since I was a little kid and still enjoy it.

6. Re: Mt. Hood loop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 04, 2014