We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland and ?

Manchester
11 posts
Save Topic
Portland and ?

We recently returned from a great dual location holiday in the States - Vegas and Sedona.

We flew into Vegas, stayed there for a few days, drove to Sedona and stayed there for a week, drove back to Vegas and then flew out after another four nights there.

Considering doing something similar involving Portland as the "week in the middle" location (partly because we'd like to fly from the UK with BA using loyalty points to reduce flight costs and we can't do that flying into Portland).

Any suggestions on the location at either end?

Happy to drive up to five hours to get to/from Portland - may also consider other transport although driving is the preference. We've both been to San Francisco quite a few times already (my dad lived in San Jose for over ten years) so not too fussed about going there.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland and ?

Very confusing post. (1) Where are you flying into? You said you can't fly into Portland. (2)What does "Any suggestions on the location at either end?" mean?

If you get a map of Oregon and Washington, draw a 250 mile circle around Portland, you'll know what is in a 5 hour drive from Portland.

Pleas re-post with a more clear question. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington
Washington
United States
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland and ?

I think I understand your question quite clearly. I suggest flying into Seattle. That is really the only logical city to fly into that is within 5 hours of Portland. Depending on traffic, it is usually a 3-4 hour drive from Seattle to Portland. You will be able to use the carpool lanes since there is more than one of you.

Spend a few days in Seattle and then a few in Portland. I think Porltand has better weather, better food and less traffic but I suppose I am biased, having grown up in Portland. :-)

Another option is Vancouver, BC. Obviously that isn't in the USA but it is an incredible area surrounded by mountains. The drive to Portland is 6-7 hours depending on border crossing and traffic.

Edited: 5:19 pm, March 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Manchester
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland and ?

PDXWindJammer - thanks for the suggestions.

Bob J - thanks for taking the time to respond. Both of your questions are a different way of putting my own question! I'm looking at a two week holiday. I'll be looking at staying in Portland on days 4 through 10 of that holiday. What I want is suggestions for where to stay on days 1 through 3, and 11 through 14. Obviously that will also be the location we will fly into and out of (flying from/to the UK). I'd thought of the map idea, but find that people are better at giving educated responses than a map ;)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland and ?

i agree with windjammer ---Seattle is an excellent starting/ending point

1 thru 3 seattle

4 thru 10 portland ,mount hood maybe crater lake and over to the oregon coast -

11-thru 14 return to seattle while seeing mount st helens

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland and ?

Another option would be to fly into Vancouver, BC. Spend a day or so there, head down to Seattle for another few days, down to Portland for another few days, then back to Seattle fo the flight home. Might that work for you?

Edited: 8:14 pm, March 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland and ?

No one has mentioned the most visited attraction in Oregon. Multnomah Falls is in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.

Starting in Troutdale (about 15-20 east of Portland on I-84) until The Dalles it encompasses 2 states (WA and Or) 16 counties and thousands of acres of rainforest. You can drive the Historic Columbia River Highway starting in Troutdale (exit 17) then go through town and head on up the mountain.

You will see many waterfalls along the Sandy River and a couple of restaurants, then up through the cities of Springdale and Corbett (small mountain town with one of the top 10 school districts in the nation.) then on to the Womans Forum overlook and Crown Point Vista House. This copper dommed beauty will give you such magnificant views you won't believe it. It is three stories tall believe it or not.

On through and past several waterfalls and down to Multnomah Falls. You will park in the MF Lodge parking lot. (I am not comfortable parking in the middle of the freeway lot) If you don't the historic drive at least exit I-84 at Bridal Veil to park there.

You will return to the freeway at Ainsworth State Park. You can go east to seemore of the Gorge or west back to Portland. While at Multnomah Falls stop in the Visitor Information Center. They have well informed volunteers there at the desk ready to help you find your way around the Gorge.

Antique steam trains in Hood River,, Sternwheeler boat in Cascade Locks, Fruit Loop or wine on the fruit loop, there is an amazing amount of things to do here.

Best to you

Mrs O

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Corbett
Corbett
Oregon
Ainsworth State Park
Ainsworth State Park
31 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland and ?

MrsO, we all know how much you love The Gorge and many of us feel the same way. It is beautiful and a great place to spend some time but the OP is looking for a city to fly into and there is not an international airport in The Gorge.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,657 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland and ?

:-)

Gatch71, I agree that your only logical choice is Seattle - other major airports are far from Portland. You could see Seattle, then Portland, then perhaps get out into the countryside and see a bit of Olympic Nat'l Park or Mt St Helens or the San Juan Islands . . . there are lots of possibilities within a several hour drive of Seattle.

During your time in the Portland area, are you thinking of venturing out and about in other parts of Oregon?

What time of year is your holiday?

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland and ?

Agree with the other posters that your best option is Seattle. BA has a direct flight from LHR to Seattle. When do you plan on visiting? Depending on when you want to travel you may have a difficult time finding award space. If that is the case you may need to get creative with your routing. I'm actually a big fan of collecting British Airways Avios points so if you have problems let me know I may be able to help you figure it out.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
10. Re: Portland and ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 04, 2014