We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel in portland - mark spencer vs fifth avenue

chicago, il
2 posts
Save Topic
hotel in portland - mark spencer vs fifth avenue

hi! thanks to all of you who continually post advice - it has been very helpful so far.

i am going to be in portland june 9-11 and looking for a good hotel to stay at. am a mid-20's budget minded traveller who likes to eat, drink, hang out and loves culture and festivals just as much as i do the outdoors.

can't decide between mark spencer and 5th ave suites. found good deals for both - $127/nt at MS and $136/nt at 5th ave. i don't need luxury as i won't spend most of my time in a hotel.

what do you locals recommend?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel in portland - mark spencer vs fifth avenue

I don't think of the 5th Avenue Suites as budget, you get a suite, free wine tasting each evening, free coffee in the am in the "living room"..lobby..

It is in the heart of downtown, great service, very nice rooms, huge bathrooms, a gym, and a great restaurant , The Red Star Tavern...which has a great bar :)

and food :)

We have stayed there about 30 nights in all, never had a complaint.

The Mark Spencer is not as posh in any way, but it is not bad. I don't know what they offer besides a basic room. It is right on the street car line, great for getting around. Also right on the edge of the Pearl District, which will be nice for you to walk to restaurants, pubs etc.

Portland is not that big though, with street cars and walking, you can get all over the city easily, from the Riverfront Park to Forest Park.

If you really want to splurge, go to the 5th Ave Suites, if not, the MS will be perfectly fine..(although I have never stayed there...I live nearby, I have talked to a few people who stay there and are very happy with it)

Level Contributor
37,627 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel in portland - mark spencer vs fifth avenue

Hi and welcome to the TA forums! That's a great rate on the 5th Ave. Suites, I'd go for it! My son raves about the Portland City Grill and will be going there soon with his new wife and their friends before heading over to the coast for a nice vacation. It sounds like a place you would enjoy! have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Portland City Grill
Portland City Grill
2,031 Reviews
Portland, OR
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel in portland - mark spencer vs fifth avenue

Siince you did not ask and might not have any idea about what/where the Portland City Grill is, it is on the 30th floor of the Unico US Bank Tower, on SW 5th Ave .

The food is ordinary, drinks are good, the view is what you would go there for.

There are comfortable booths to sit in and the later it gets, the younger the crowd gets. You might enjoy it..at least you will enjoy the view.

Mentioned in this post
Portland City Grill
Portland City Grill
2,031 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel in portland - mark spencer vs fifth avenue

As a local too, I'll second Scarlett's advice. Dollars being relatively equal, I think the only reasons to choose Mark Spencer over 5th Avenue Suites would be proximity to the Pearl District, or a better, lower cost parking option for a car (will you have one?). But neither of those reasons carries a lot of weight.

I also agree about Portland City Grill. It's beyond curious to me that syrahgirl continues to recommend a place she's never seen or been to in any of her infrequent Portland visits. Portland City Grill is mostly a business lunch and dinner place, or a place to wow your date with the view and the amount you're willing to spend.

Mentioned in this post
Portland City Grill
Portland City Grill
2,031 Reviews
Portland, OR
5. Re: hotel in portland - mark spencer vs fifth avenue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 pm, August 13, 2009