We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help quickly, please!

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GA
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need help quickly, please!

IWe are flying into Portland for two days of meetings, and I am hoping to plan a few extra days to see some of the best sights near there. We hope to see the Columbia River Gorge and see as many waterfalls as time permits. We need to get down to Albany (where the meetings actually are) and wonder about the best way to get there---seeing as much scenery as possible, rather than just interstates. What is the best way through the Mt. Hood area? How much time must I allow for the journey? We'd like to see the waterfalls at Silver Falls State Park near Salem and wonder how many of them are within easy hiking distance. (We are in our early 60's but in pretty good shape for walking or hiking---but we'd rather skip any dangerous "hike at your own risk" type areas. I can hardly stand to miss the beautiful Oregon Coast, but we have only 3 or 4 days to work all this in. Someone please help me plan the timing on this, and add any suggestions you have. We hope to arrive in Portland around noon on the day we fly in, and want to head straight toward Multnomah Falls area. Best routes? Best places to get a bite? Best places to stay? This trip is the 2nd week of June, and I must make reservations in the next day or two.

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions!!! B.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help quickly, please!

Have a hard time following that all. You arrive at noon, then when do you have to be in Albany? are the 3 or 4 days then? Silver Creek Coast. hard to help when not sure whatyour priorities are

Arrival PDX at noon means you may get out of theer by 1PM if lucky. Suggest you plan first night in Hood River and drive the Hist Col Riv Hwy, Troutdale to Bonneville Dam. see more waterfalls that way, but don't plan early arrival Hood River, a lot to see.

Wait to hear more from yout

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help quickly, please!

When we went to Silver Falls, we encountered many people in their 50's and 60's and they didn't seem to be having any problems. We were there for about half a day, including picnicking. I'm not sure what you consider to be an easy hiking distance but we thought they were very easy. You can go to www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php and download a trail map.

Phirl is right abouth the Historic Columbia Gorge Highway. If you go on a weekend, be prepared for all the people who are visiting the falls too. You may have to park and walk a little to get to a fall but it's never been that bad when we've been there and they are worth it. The huckleberry pancakes at the Multnomah Falls Lodge are great. If you are there while they are serving breakfast, you should try some. They're huge though.

GA
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help quickly, please!

Sorry I was not clear in my original message. The 3 or 4 days to sightsee are before the meetings in Albany. So when we fly into Portland, our free time starts immediately. My thoughts were to try to get to Hood River the first night, but don't want to miss everything on the way. Would a first night at Multnomah Falls, 2nd night at Hood River, 3rd night somewhere around Mt. Hood and 4th night around the Silver Falls State Park area be a better plan?

If this sounds feasible, do you have suggestions on places to stay? "Must see" stops along the way? Places to avoid?

Thanks for the tip on the state parks website.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help quickly, please!

Come into PDX, rent a car. Take I-84 up to Multnomah Falls, but consider other sites on the way such as Bridal Veil and the Vista Look-Out point. If you want to drive a little further, visit Hood River and maybe cross the Bridge of the Gods for dinner at Skamania Lodge.

Silver Falls State Park is a pleasure to visit. You can view from above or hike down. The hike is steep, but short.

Head over to the coast using Highway 26 and watch for the signs to the coast. It's about 1.5 hours to get to Cannon Beach which is a charming place for a walk on the beach or a great lunch.

Using a hotel in Portland might be your best bet. The Governor Hotel or the Benson if you like old school ambience. Northrup Station or Embassy Suites if you're looking for high quality, low cost. Call hotel direct for best rates. Have fun!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help quickly, please!

Just to add to what others have written...

The Vista House just reopened last year and is beautiful with really good views. Along that same old scenic highway, stop at the Portland Women's Forum (odd name, I know) for more scenic views. There are several other great places along the way, then of course Multnomah Falls. If you take this trip, I would suggest getting an early start so that when you arrive at MF the place won't be as packed and parking will be much easier. Definitely walk to the top!

Silver Falls is another place we really like. Near the parking lot, is the big falls, but there are many more along the hike. Off the top of my head, I am thinking it is 10 falls in just over 7 miles. Not a hard hike at all, but really pretty throughout. On a cold day, it is nice to come back to the lodge for coffee and sit and warm up in front of the massive fireplace.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help quickly, please!

Yes, I aggree, Vista House is so beautiful. I have so many photos of it and that view!! omg, that view :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help quickly, please!

I'll jump in with agreement that Portland would be a good base. Everything on your list, including the coast, is within 1.5 hours of the city, which makes them easy day-trip destinations. And staying in Portland gives you a lot more options for other sightseeing and activities, not to mention food.

Not too many options for the drive to Albany, but I would suggest 99W from Portland, which takes you through the best of Oregon's wine country. Maybe even do some tasting along the way.

GA
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help quickly, please!

Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions! Got a big smile on my face when I saw a familiar name---mamababoo!!! You gave great information on another forum over the last couple of years---either on our trip to New York or to Alaska.

There are so many things we want to see and do that hubby cleared his schedule for a couple of extra days so we can add a few places. I like the idea of centering from Portland and will do that for at least a couple of nights.

Does this schedule seem "do-able"??

Sat.--Arrive Portland, take Hwy 26 toward Coast

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help quickly, please!

I think it is doable and sounds good. Nice to see your name again too!. MamaBaboo

GA
Level Contributor
204 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help quickly, please!

Oops, don't know what happened there! As I was saying, the schedule:

Sat.--Arrive Portland, take Hwy 26 toward Seaside,Cannon Beach

Sun.--South to Cape Meares and Cape Lookout areas, Hwy 6 to Port.

Mon.--Columbia River Gorge, waterfalls, Hood River

Tues.--Hwy 35 to Mt Hood, Hwy 26 to Portland or toward Silver Falls

Wed.--Silver Falls St. Park

Thurs.--Covered Bridge Country Tour, to Albany for evening meeting

Fri.-- Back to Portland after meetings

Sat.--To airport by 10:00a.m.

Is this too ambitious? I may have to cut something out if time does not permit. I'd like some suggestions for things to do on Sun., Tues. and Fri. evenings in Portland. Also early Sat. morning before we leave. Are there Farmer's Markets, antique markets, etc. on Sats?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice, but reasonable place to stay along the area of coast that we will be traveling?

Y'all are wonderful and I appreciate all of your helpful suggestions!!

B.