We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland for Memorial Day

Fort Worth, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Portland for Memorial Day

Hello everyone!

I am looking for some advice on a week long trip to Portland, Oregon for the last week of May 2013. I'm finally graduating in May from school and am planning a trip to Portland with my boyfriend to celebrate. We live in Dallas, Texas and have been wanting to get up to Portland for a long time.

A few questions:

1. How is the weather at the end of May? Would this be a good time to visit? Too cold? Too hot?

2. What would be the best option on lodging? I normally just do hotels, but I see some posts on these forums about condo or vacation rentals. I wonder if this might be a better option? I have no experience with vacation rentals - but am open to the idea, if it's affordable.

3. Last, what would be the best area to stay in? I've seen the Pearl District mentioned quite frequently. We don't drink, so don't care much about bars. However, I love great restaurants, live music, little shops, farmers markets, parks, etc. We really want to get a good feel for Portland - as this is a place that we have considered relocating to for work purposes. We will be flying in and renting a car, but would like to do a lot of the public transportation options if possible.

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland for Memorial Day

Weather can be hit or miss at the end of May, hard to predict. If you are into live music consider staying at a Mcmenamins hotel that features live music, such as the Crystal Hotel http://www.mcmenamins.com/CrystalHotel or White Eagle www.mcmenamins.com/452-white-eagle-home. Of those two the Crystal Hotel is more centrally located. White Eagle is in a pretty cool area of town close to the Mississippi District but is not centrally located. Vacation rentals are also a great place to go, my wife and I use these a lot when we travel because we travel with two young kids and having a kitchen and multiple rooms is nice. Given that your interests are food and live music I think I would just go the hotel route.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland for Memorial Day

Agree that weather can be hit or miss, but considering your focus on Portland, it shouldnt matter much. It wont be too hot, if coming from Dallas. Likely will be showery with some sun and in the 60s/70s.

I dont think a car would be nessisary, unless traveling to the coast/gorge or outlying areas. Might as well save some cash by renting a car for those days only.

If you have a week and plan on spending it the whole time in PDX, why not try a few hotels in various parts of the city?

Level Contributor
35,236 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland for Memorial Day

The Pearl District and downtown are both nice areas of Portland to stay in. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland for Memorial Day

I agree with the first poster: Stay at one of the McMenamins properties, even though you don't drink. They have a unique NW feel and flavor, and usually have live entertainment.

Oregon
Level Contributor
816 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland for Memorial Day

Portland will be gearing up for the annual Rose Festival during that week. See www.rosefestival.org for details. Might give you a good feel for the city, events, crowds, shopping, as well as weather during that time.

I, too, am a McMenamin's fan, and they have many locations to choose from, as others have mentioned. Their overnight costs are comparatively low, since most rooms have shared baths down the hall. Funky and relaxed. But, any hotel stay means you will need to eat out for a week....so you may want to compare with options on a site like vrbo.com or find a B&B that will at least include breakfast.

6. Re: Portland for Memorial Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 14, 2014