We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Portland Christmas day

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
Seattle to Portland Christmas day

Has anyone driven Seattle to Portland on Christmas day? I plan to leave around 2pm ??? How is the traffic ???

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

Yes and this year I'm taking the train (to Eugene). Don't expect any restaurants to be open. Many gas stations also closed.

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

How is the traffic on 1-5 christmas afternoon ( seattle to portland ) ????

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

I am trying to find out if I-5 is busy from seattle to Portland Christmas afternoon ??

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

I think you should be ok, any Oregonians who went up to Washington to visit family probably won't head back until after dinner right? My uncle drives from Seattle to Portland almost every Christmas day, but he usually leaves early in the morning to come to Portland. He has never complained about traffic in the morning.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

OK, Loodlernoodle...you've posted the same basic question three times in your only three TA postings. We welcome you to TA, but you have to realize the limitations of our abilities to predict weather and traffic situations a day in advance, nevermind a week in advance.

I've driven from Seattle to Portland and from Portland to Seattle many times and can only say that it "OUGHT" to be OK on Christmas afternoon. But it only takes a single accident to plug the Tacoma bottleneck. Heavy rains can flood I-5 around Chehalis. And the Columbia Gorge could turn into an icy wind tunnel aimed at Portland and make the bridge approaches back up.

However, there should be minimal truck traffic, so that will help. If you'll be a bit more patient you will probably get more responses. All the local experts don't spend all their time monitoring the forum. Give them a chance to respond.

And, since the entire trip will occur within the state of Washington, not Oregon, you should also post your question on the Washington Forum.

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

Thank you so much !!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

The weather prediction for Christmas Day (as of tonight the 17th) is for fair weather. Note that can change as it's still a week away, but at least they aren't starting to warn us about any severe wind / snow / ice storms.

Yet.

;-)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,100 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

It should take about a little over 3 hours depending on where you start from in Seattle. I have never encontered what I think of as BAD traffic on this drive and on many holidays I have gone there and back.

Of course I have driven in Los Angeles and Houston traffic so that may color my thinking.

The only time it really backs up is if there is a traffic incident, a fatality can tie it up.

Drive safe.

Mrs O

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

Thank you all for your responses !

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle to Portland Christmas day

Well, I have encountered hellish traffic between Seattle and Portland. However, the bad traffic was always on a weekday, and it was largely due to heavy commercial truck traffic. The same route on a Saturday or a Sunday was easy and uncrowded. It is most unlikely that Christmas Day will be a busy truck traffic day; it's far more likely to be similar to a particularly sleepy Sunday. You should be fine.