We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare from Portland to Maui

portland
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare from Portland to Maui

Does anyone know what the average price is for airplane ticket in mid June? They seem really expensive right now and wasnt sure if that is just the way it is. Also what is a good site to buy airline tickets?

Thanks,

Stac

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,894 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

To check airline prices, use a site such as www.kayak.com

Play around with days and dates if you can as sometimes it's cheaper to fly mid week instead of the weekend, for example.

Then book directly with the airlines - that is always best in my experience.

If you are going to stay in one location you also could try looking at Priceline packages. These are set price, non bidding and sometimes are a very good price. Some airlines also offer flight+hotel packages.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

most of the airline sites have the option to see if different dates have different prices so you can play around with the dates and book right there on line

Hawaiian air has discontinued their non stops to maui - you now have to change planes in hnl -------alaska has non stops ----------those 2 airlines are generally cheaper then united

portland
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

Thank you! I will look into it ;)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,314 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

I would also suggest signing up for their "clubs" as they send specials to club members.

Mrs O

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

Best deal I know of is to get one of the Alaska Airlines VISAs that comes with an annual "companion ticket." The companion ticket can be used on any of Alaska Airline's routes, and allows a 2nd (companion) passenger to travel for only $99, plus applicable taxes and fees. So, if two of you are traveling to Maui together, one pays the regular published fare, but the other only approx. $110 (including taxes). It's such a good deal that my wife and I have made two trips to Hawaii flying 1st class, while paying only a little more than the price of two coach tickets. (Unfortunately, companion tickets can't be used for 1st class anymore. Darn!)

The companion ticket deal might be offset a little by the $75 annual fee, but if you travel regularly to places in Alaska's system, it's still well worth it. The other downside; flying Alaska Airlines to Hawaii just doesn't feel the same as Hawaiian Air. But either gets you to the same place in paradise.

Edited: 2:21 pm, December 03, 2012
portland
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

Thank you! I will look into it ;)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

I have paid as much as $650/pp back in '05 and as little as $280/ pp 2 years ago.

I'm comfortable with paying up to about $500/ pp for a direct flight, but that's just me.

Oh, and if you are not adverse to driving down to Eugene, check Allegiant's rates. They just began direct flights to Maui Nov 17 and have some pretty good "introductory" rates.

Edited: 3:18 pm, December 03, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
portland
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

Thank u! Tickets right now are around 700. Seems high but I dnt know. I have only been once 10 yrs ago.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

$700 is too high IMO!! I saw last night that Allegiant is offering direct flights for $124 each way. Don't know what restrictions, if any, there are but that's a GREAT rate!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare from Portland to Maui

Lots of extra charges on Allegiant, but still a great deal if you can match their flight days to your schedule and travel light.