We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to go to Portland in May

England
Level Contributor
225 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
When to go to Portland in May

Hello all,

We visited Portland earlier this year and really loved it. We’ve decided to go back next year (there just wasn’t enough time to enjoy everything the first time around!). I’m currently deciding when to go. As I’m really impatient I’m thinking first week in May. Alternative is last week in May. What does everybody think? Much difference between the two in terms of weather and what to do?

If not, then I’d really like to go sooner rather than later!

Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Thanks everyone. It will be SO good to be back!

Level Contributor
37,627 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to go to Portland in May

I'd go for the last week in May, Where are you going to stay and how long will will be visiting for? If you can, try to get over to the beautiful coast. Cannon Beach, Seaside, Manzanita are all very nice to explore.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to go to Portland in May

Daytime temps at the end of the month should be 4° - 5°F warmer than at the beginning, with rain possibly tapering off. But there are no guarantees about the weather. Other things to consider are:

The last Monday of May is Memorial Day, a national holiday. Many around here celebrate by visiting the wine country southwest of the city, making that weekend the second busiest of the year out there. If you're into wine, it's a good/fun time to visit.

The "Grand Floral Parade" of Portland's annual Rose Festival is June 8. I can't find a calendar for next year's Festival, but typically there are related events scheduled a couple weeks on either side of the parade. Busy time here, so you might pay more for accommodations, particularly in the week leading up to the parade.

Nice sentiment, syrahgirl, but I don't believe Thanksgiving is celebrated in England.

England
Level Contributor
225 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to go to Portland in May

Thanks for your replies both.

syrahgirl: We will stay in Portland for 8 nights, with potential day trips on a couple of days (wine country - a few wineries near Salem I like, as we didn't do that last time, and Colombia River Gorge, something else we missed out on.) The rest we just want to spend taking it easy in the city - drinking coffee, eating out, going shopping, meeting friends. We spent a lot of time on the coast on the last trip and may also choose to revisit, but not a priority.

thrumylens: we were in Portland for the Rose Festival this year!

It seems that perhaps late May would be a better bet, but I really can't wait to go back, so still want to choose the first week!!

Oh, and happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Edited: 1:06 pm, November 21, 2012
Level Contributor
37,627 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to go to Portland in May

Cathedral Ridge and Pheasant Hill are nice places to wine taste in Hood River. :)

Mentioned in this post
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,347 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to go to Portland in May

we go the first week in may each year..sometimes colder than others, but weather is so unpredictable. last year, supposedly, was a warm year..still going the first week!!

England
Level Contributor
225 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to go to Portland in May

Thanks everyone! Think it will be the first week. I'm sure we'll have fun whatever the weather.

Syrahgirl-thanks for wine tasting tips!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to go to Portland in May

I'd go for the last week. April showers can last well into May here and that might cut into your freedom to walk without an umbrella around this beautiful city. Have fun and welcome, whenever you come!

Edited: 7:30 pm, November 28, 2012
England
Level Contributor
225 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to go to Portland in May

Thanks, but everything booked for the first week! Oh well, we'll hope for the best re weather and make sure we have fun whatever happens! (-:

9. Re: When to go to Portland in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, December 16, 2013