We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer Tasting/Pub Crawl

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Beer Tasting/Pub Crawl

I am looking for a good area to go beer tasting in Portland next weekend. We are going to be on foot and it will be cold, so I am not sure if there are breweries/pubs that are near each other.

Another idea I had was to visit hood river, so if anyone has any suggestions on the same thing there that would be great.

Thank you!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer Tasting/Pub Crawl

Hey:

As much as you might like a central location to taste at a bunch of different places, I find that the Portland beer scene is nicely spread out (i.e. not a big cluster within walkable distance if cold/rainy). Being on foot, I'd recommend a crawl that uses the Portland Streetcar line; you can hit a number of places in/near downtown and the inner east side this way. An unlimited day pass is $5.

http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/node/4

Possible route: Start in downtown/Pearl District at Deschutes (NW 11th/Davis) for lunch & pints and then catch the 'Central Loop' Streetcar Line to Upright Brewing (240 N Broadway ~ first stop across Broadway Bridge); but beware, Upright is only open 1-6pm Sat/Sun. Then hop on board & ride to SE Belmont stop for Hair of the Dog, Cascade Brewing Barrel House and Green Dragon. Then I'd suggest riding the streetcar back to downtown and stopping at Bailey's Taproom (if you have the energy, that is).

There are certainly other good/great neighborhood brewpubs all over (especially N/NE/SE), but this would allow you to hit 5-6 terrific ones without much walking... just be mindful of the streetcar schedule if you go this route & download the app 'PDXBus' for real-time arrivals (I notice you're local so you may already have this, or are familiar with TriMet & Streetcar).

Re: Hood River. You can pretty easily go to 4 brewpubs in the downtown area. 3 are within blocks of each other (Double Mountain, Full Sail Taproom & Big Horse) and a fourth is Pfriem Family Brewers, a new place in the industrial park at the waterfront. Of these, DM & Pfriem are favorites. If you have a car, you could also cross the river to White Salmon (Everybody's Brewing) and Stevenson (Walking Man).

Hope that helps... if you need more suggestions, reply or send me a message.

Cheers,

Brian

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer Tasting/Pub Crawl

Thank you so much! That helps SO much :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer Tasting/Pub Crawl

Cool, glad to help. In re-reading my reply, I want to add Burnside Brewing (2 blocks east of streetcar @E Burnside & 7th - good beers & excellent food). I also want to change the recommendation to taking the streetcar all the way back downtown; instead I'd take the #15 bus, which crosses the Morrison Bridge. It'll be MUCH faster and it runs frequently, too. :)

See map: http://trimet.org/pdfs/maps/citycenter.pdf

B

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer Tasting/Pub Crawl

How many people make up the "we"? Because I've always thought this would be a fun way to do a pub crawl: http://brewcycleportland.com/ .

5. Re: Beer Tasting/Pub Crawl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 04, 2013