We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Topic
Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

The weather predictions for this weekend looks pretty sunny. I was wondering what would be a good place to visit this weekend within a 5-6 drive of Portland. I love scenic drives and photography.

I have already been to Silver Falls State Park, Multinomah falls and surroundings,the coast from Coos Bay to Tillamook. Parts of West Cascaded and Rogue Umpqua scenic byway.

I was looking into Painted hills but I am not sure if it is worth going now or if there would be snow on the road en route.

Would love to get your suggestions.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

Perhaps the North Coast. It will be a long drive to the Painted Hills. You can be in Seaside or Cannon Beach as a start point in less than two hours then have time to drive some of the coast from there.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

I should mention, I looking for a 2 day trip. I was in TIllamook last week so was looking to go somewhere other than the coast. But if everything else fails, I owuld go to the coast. Is it worth going to the painted hills in this season?

Oregon
Level Contributor
718 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

Have you headed over the Cascades to Sisters - Black Butte - Bend - Deschutes River, Mt Bachelor, etc yet? Could be some spectacular scenery and photo ops especially if it is cold and clear. If you get east of the Cascades, vistas looking west can be amazing. Or you could go up the McKenzie River - east of Springfield. Still lots of autumn colors till the next big wind/rain storm.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not been there yet. Are you talking of the West Cascaded scenic Byway?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

Have you looked at the photos of Painted Hills?

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51924-d21…

The "paint" colors are not vegetation, they are the colors of the earth, so not dependent upon spring flowers or anything. The Paleontology center is excellent, not dull or boring. I think that would make a great two day trip - the area is very interesting and worth visiting, IMO.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

half_Brit, I have looked into the painted hills The color and paleontology interested me and that is why I was interested. I am just concerned

1. if I have to passthrough snow

2. WIl the color seem attractive the weather is cloudy as is mostly the case in November.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

Does this following look like a feasible itinerary? http://goo.gl/maps/scNFY

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

www.tripcheck.com

You will want to keep an eye on the weather. They've been predicting fog and rain for days and we've had sun, clear skies and warm weather. I understand the snow level is supposed to come down to the 2500-ft level over the next couple of days. If so, you mgiht have to deal with some winter mountain driving. Weather forecasts in Oregon are notoriously unreliable.

If the roads ARE clear and the weather nice, you might find the McKenzie Hwy (126) between Eugene/Springfield and Sisters/Bend more scenic than following the 20 all the way. The McKenzie Hwy runs along the beautiful McKenzie Hwy and passes Sahalie Falls, which may still be easily accessible from its parking lot right on the hwy. You might also still get some of the shots of brightly colored vine maples against the black lava (if the rain and snow haven't already downed the leaves).

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want to drive on hilly roads in snow. How can I know if the roads have snow? Should I avoid 126 in that case?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please advise: Where to go from Portland this weekend?

All roads crossing the Cascades are subject to winter conditions. The tripcheck.com website is kept up to date and most summits on major roads have webcams that will show you what's happing (in daytime). You can also call 511 within Oregon for recorded condition updates.

Take a look at the website and become familiar with its features. Many mountain areas are currently forecasted to have snow showers, icy condition and freezing temps over the next several days. Worst conditions are usually in the early mornings and after sundown...but you never know for sure. By the same token, the major roads over Santiam and Willamette Passes are well maintained most of time.