We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Nov?

Orlando, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
What to wear in Nov?

We are coming for a full week at Thanksgiving and was wondering what to wear/ bring? We are from Florida so we aren't sure what to pack or bring.

Also any other suggestions about things to do around Thanksgiving.

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Nov?

Coming from Florida, plan to bring your full 'winter wardrobe'... In late November, it's typically grey and rainy and will be in the 50s (at best) during the day and 30s at night. If you have jackets with hoods or fleece, anything that sheds water and keeps you warm and dry. Layers are good. A hat or ballcap works in lieu of an umbrella most of the time, because we're often talking about lighter, misty rain... not torrential downpours, a la the South. :)

Are you visiting friends/family or on your own? And what are your interests? These will help guide you toward appropriate 'things to do'...

Cheers,

Brian

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,811 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Nov?

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. Yes, think winter clothes. November here isn't as cold as the rest of the winter but compared to Orlando you'll probably think it's freezing - and it very well might be as we never know ;-)

I *think* some of the Christmas activities start just after Thanksgiving. Click on this blue link and it will take you to another thread with some ideas:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g52024-i238-k58148…

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Nov?

www.weatherbase.com for historical weather data.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in Nov?

Bring layers and some rain garb. November can be very cold, or not so much. It can rain like crazy - or not. Every once in awhile it snows in November. I swear we have the most unpredictable weather in the Western Hemisphere. All that said, if you get into weather you hadn't planned for, pick up what you need here. And check the Weather Channel before you come!

Edited: 8:14 pm, October 09, 2012
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in Nov?

eprovenzale - No one has mentioned shoes so far. Guessing you may live in sandals. You'll want to bring (or buy here) some sturdy, closed-toe shoes that you wear with socks to keep your feet warm and dry. If it turns out to be quite rainy while you're here, "tennis shoes" may soak through, especially if you go to the coast. We do have lots of stylish rubber boots available everywhere, which may be an option for you!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in Nov?

Don't check the weather channel, check www.accuweather.com.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,811 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in Nov?

Good point, Wahiawakid. The only pair of sandals I've owned in years I bought when we visited Orlando in November, LOL!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Orlando, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in Nov?

Thanks for all the information. All of this information is helpful in packing. I think I'm lacking a lot of stuff. Florida weather is all about sandals and shorts. We wear a light jacket about two days a year.

We are visiting on our own and hope to explore the city for a few days before heading to Wine Country Nov. 21-25. If anyone has any other suggestions about wine or where to eat on thanksgiving in wine country that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in Nov?

For Willamette Valley/Yamhill County wine tastings on Thanksgiving weekend, this site should be extremely helpful (maps/routes, tasting fees, hours, etc.): willamettewines.com/events/… There are also great suggestions on dining, hotels, shopping, etc.

If you need help re: Portland, check out: http://www.travelportland.com/ You can download (or order a free print copy) of a helpful guide/magazine; scroll to the bottom of the home page, click the image in the middle.

Mentioned in this post
Willamette Valley
Willamette Valley
742 Reviews
Portland, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
424 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in Nov?

Oregon is very casual -- my advice is to bring jeans, jeans, jeans. For warmth, fleece is good [and it dries fairly quickly, shakes off rain and can be purchased for not a lot of money at LL Bean or Lands End], and some sort of rain-repellant coat or jacket. And socks.

If the weather is very cold when you arrive or your Florida blood is too thin, you can easily find mittens, scarves, etc. to add to your arsenal. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States