We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon from portland to san diego then back up the coast

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon from portland to san diego then back up the coast

I am going to be going on my honeymoon soon and i will be traveling straight to san diego from portland. we will visit the zoo there and sea world and maybe other places. From there we will start heading back up north back towards oregon and on our way back we would like to stop at various places that will be nice sight seeing places, touristic areas, some other zoo's, etc. i know we willl go to san fran for a zoo there and obviusly other attractions there. we are leaving on a tuesday aroud and want to be back home the following sunday or even monday at the latest so it will be a 6 day road trip. and my budget will range from anywhere from as low as $500 to as much as 1500 what my questions are is...

1) what are some great places to see on the way back from san diego?

2)where is a good place to make a stop for the first half of the way to San Diego? ( i will leave tuesday at noon and i want to make it into Cali before i do a rest stop)

3) i am under 21 so what can i enjoy being that age?

4)Any restaurants (fancy or not) that you would recommend?

5) Places to stay out of? (I want to be safe)

6) going off of my budget what attractions can i go to, food places, and hotels could i afford? (i know someone that made $500 work for a trip to san francisco so i know it could be done)

if you have any other suggestions or advice please let me know, i am a first time traveler that need HELP!!!

thank you in advance for all your help

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon from portland to san diego then back up the coast

Congratulations on your marriage and welcome to TA. I'm trying to figure out how you can do this trip in 6 days...and, unfortunately, I don't see how.

If you go straight down I-5 and get lucky getting through the L.A. metro area and down the 405, you MIGHT get to San Diego in 2 vrey exhausting days. You can't do the zoo (there are two, by the way) and Sea World in one day...but even if you could, that would be day 3.

That leaves you 3 days to get back to Portland. It'll take you another long day to get to SF(again trying to get through the L.A. gridlock). Forget going up the coast and seeing Hearst Castle, Big Sur, the Monterey Aquarium, etc.

We've used 4 days and you haven't seen anything in SF yet. That would be day 5.

It takes a whole day to get from SF to the Oregon Coast, if you leave really early (you won't want to drive through the redwoods at night).

Uh, oh. Even though you've driving like a bat out of hell for long, long freeway hours and seen very little, time's up!

My advice would be, if you really want to enjoy San Diego...fly down, rent a car and spend several days relaxing in the nice weather, seeing the zoos and Sea World, enjoying downtown and Old Town. Stretch out on the beach in La Jolla, maybe stay a night or two in the grand Coronado Hotel. Have a honeymoon filled with pleasure, instead of inhaling freeway fumes and getting irritated with each other because your suffering road fatigue and always searching for the next rest stop.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon from portland to san diego then back up the coast

Right on, oregonpoppa!

Recentlywed doesn't say where he's from, but residents of the East Coast often confuse West Coast distances with what East Coasters are used to. The trip you identify is over 2,000 miles (via I-5, both ways). You can do the math, but surely a pair of honeymooners can find something better to do with their time.

3. Re: Honeymoon from portland to san diego then back up the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, December 14, 2013