We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

Any ideas? We will be staying in Tigard but I thought it might be fun to go into the downtown area on Max for dinner. I have eaten at Pazzo's so would like to try something different.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

Favorite kind of food?

Thai ? Typhoon a couple of doors from Pazzo on SW Broadway..elegant, pretty restaurant with such good food & service.

(Right by Pioneer square) In the Paramount Hotel...Dragonfish..PanAsianFusian lol..very good, nice atmosphere, good service, great drinks.

Of course, there is the Heathman, that is close by..good food, good service, most of the time. I would say uneven on the service but we still go back :)

But not that "fun"..kind of stuffy and serious..

I like Tyhphoon myself for a celebration dinner..

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

We had a nice dinner at HIggins in downtown Portland. I would suggest Wildwood or Paley's Place in the Nob Hill area for some really great food. Other favorites of ours include: Carlyle, clarklewis, Gotham Building Tavern, Park Kitchen, Pho Van Bistro and Bluehour. Let me know if you would like more info on any of the places I have mentioned.

If you love chocolate, don't miss Moonstruck Chocolates in the Nob Hill area, I have been enjoying the Sundae Truffles all week that my husband brought back for me when he was in Portland last week on business. Have a great time! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

Wildwood , Paley's Place,Carlyle, clarklewis, Gotham Building Tavern, Park Kitchen, Pho Van Bistro and Bluehour are not in the Downtown area near the Max line.

While I admit they are good restaurants, I did not mention them because they were not what the OP asked for.

But if having Moonstruck Chocolates is something a person counts as part of coming into town for dinner, there is one Downtown, close to the 5th Avenue Suites Hotel.

Chicogirl, I think SouthPark might be nice too, seafood on Park St just a block to the South from the Max line, behind the Schnitzer concert hall and Heathmans.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

Thank you all. I realized later I had been a bit too vague and I know you all answer this same question over and over and over....so thanks! I think Typhoon sounds great - I read about it somewhere - maybe Portland Magazine. We are relocating this spring so we will try them all eventually!

Now, gotta check the entertainment book to see if there is a coupon!!!

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

You're welcome! Please report back with us after your travels! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

Most of the restaurants listed in syrahgirl's post are places you'd like your husband to take you, but not necessarily the other way around.

You definitely won't find it in the Entertainment Book, but if your husband likes steak, El Gaucho's is as good as they get. And if he enjoys them, he can smoke a celebratory cigar in the lounge there after dinner. It's a manly man's dinner house. :-) But I agree with Scarlett that Typhoon is a good choice too.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

You are moving here soon? great! Keep all our lists and just start going through them lol.

One you are in town for more than a night, then you can hop on a streetcar, go to the NW area ( or as syrahgirl calls it, NobHill) and try the others..

If you like the idea of El Gaucho, it is across the street and down about a block from Typhoon and Pazzo so not too far at all...a nice posh steak house.

What I like about Typhoon, aside from excellent food is the room is so pretty and the service is so good. The waiters are all very professional ... I am talking myself into going tonight LOL Their Duck is wonderful..

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

syrahgirl, if you ever move here from California, you will have fun trying out all the places in town that you have not been to..and new places are opening all the time..one of the great things about Portland for visitors, you never have to keep going back to the same places all the time.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

OHHH! I forgot about a cigar ! Thank you!

Yes, we are moving up - he is already up there working and I am packing for the move!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner downtown (Pioneer area) for Husband's 50th birthday

Anything you need as far as directions or anything, let me/us know. Since we moved here last August, I feel like I know Everything there is about moving to Portland.

Of course, so does Mtngrl, she is from here and moved back here not too long ago....she and mistletoe direct me and help me every day with Portland info..

Good luck, I am starting to think moving is fun~ :O)