We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia River Gorge

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mpls
Level Contributor
67 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Columbia River Gorge

Will be flying into Portland tomorrow evening. One of the not to miss on our list is the Columbia River Gorge. I understand there is construction. What is the best route for us to take to see the Gorge and for sure the following: Multnomah Falls, the Historic Columbia River Highway, Timberline Lodge, Mt. Hood, Bonneville Dam Lock and Dam, downtown Hood River?

Thank you in advance!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,898 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbia River Gorge

Hi there.

You will just have to stay on I-84 to see the highlights of this beautiful area. The part that is closed is the old scenic highway and you can still see lots from I-84.

Go into into Multnomah Falls on I-84 at the exit for Bridal Veil and you can check as to what arts of the HCRH are open. Return via the HCRH at Ainsworth State Park. There you rejoin I-84. take a picnic or choose from Lodge Food.

The volunteers in the Visitor Information Center are well trained and knowledgeable and will help you with the detours. Bonneville Dam and Hood River are right on I-84.

There will be so much beauty that you won't miss the HCRH this one time.

Mrs O

Corbett, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbia River Gorge

Just a note that the scenic is only closed on the east side of Vista House. Access is still open from Troutdale past Women's Forum to Crown Point. Then the traveler needs to retrace to Corbett to get back on I-84 at exit 22, and go around the construction point. You can get back on the scenic at Bridal Veil (exit 28) with access to all of the Falls, with a return to I-84 at the east end past the falls (exit 35).

Mpls
Level Contributor
67 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbia River Gorge

Thank you for the update. We visited the Gorge this past Sunday. Beautiful! The individuals at Vista House were very helpful & provided a great map. I believe the Vista House will close as of Oct 1 (if my memory serves me-I was on vacation). Mad a day of it & enjoyed the area before heading back to Portland.

Corbett, Oregon
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbia River Gorge

So very glad you enjoyed - it's beautiful here, isn't it? - hope the re-entry to Not Vacation Anymore goes smoothly. :)

5. Re: Columbia River Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 25, 2013