We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

Kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

We will be arriving at PDX around 3:30 on Labor Day, renting a car and driving to Lincoln City. What is the best route to avoid heavy traffic. Looks like we start out on I205 but where do we switch over to 99W and 18?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

Very likely traffic will be heavier coming from the Coast to the Valley. I'd suggest driving south on I-205 to I-5, continue south on I-5 (to Salem). Take the Salem Parkway exit just past the Keizer exit,(about 1 hour from PDX) follow the Parkway, then Commercial Street to the Marion Street Bridge. Stay on the bridge over the Willamette River (stay to the left on Highway 22 to the Coast). Highway 22 joins Hwy 18 near Willamina, stay on 18 out to Lincoln City. Salem to LC is about an hour. Unless traffic is really jammed up somewhere along the way, you can expect to be in LC about 2 hours after you pick up your car. We live in Dallas, about 15 miles west of Salem, just off 22. When we drive from PDX to our home after a trip, we're usually home about 75 minutes after getting in our car.

I recommend this over 99W to 18 because you'll be driving through suburban sprawl for 20 miles through Dundee after you get off I-5 at Tigard.

Kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of information I needed. You obviously know the area and I appreciate the advise.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,233 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

OregonJohn is dead on with his directions and I agree best to avoid 99W :-)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

Thanks for the second, Half-Brit. We've driven that route more times than I've posted on TA. Seriously!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

We live west side of Tigard. we always take 99W/18 to coast. Takes us more time to get to I-5 than to be somewhere beyond Newberg on 99. even facing Dundee. which is potluck what you find

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,246 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

Since I live right off of 99 not far from Dundee, here is my personal take on it:) I never take 99 north of Sherwood unless I have too. Too many traffic lights, etc. If you head south on I-5 and get off at either of the Wilsonville exits and cut over to 99, it is a very pleasant drive. I can send you a PM with specific directions if you want. It saves a ton of time and allows for a nice drive.

Kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

So you are saying the Wilsonville exits are better than the Salem Parkway exit? Or just better than taking 99W?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,246 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

Taking the Salem exit is faster, but not nearly as pleasant, IMO. I like 99 as it goes through some nice small towns and makes for great stops along the way. But I would not bother with getting onto 99 anywhere north of Wilsonville as it is stripmall h*ll from just north of Sherwood on up. South of there is nice and we drive it all the time since we live right here.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,233 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

We've lived on the coast for nearly 25 years and taken every possible route to and from the valley and Portland about a zillion times (or so - lol!).

They all take just about the same amount of time to get from Point A to Point B.

Getting from I-5 to the west side you have to cross the Willamette River, and unless you cut across at Wilsonville/Sherwood (yep, we've done that more than once) , you have to go all the way south down to Salem, KansasLady. There aren't many bridges.

The exception is to take the Wheatland car ferry across the river a few miles north of Salem -- if you want to take a really roundabout route! Oh, I suppose you could wind around by Champoeg then back to Newberg; we've done that route as well.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,246 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Directions from Portland to Lincoln City

half-brit--There are several routes to cut over from Wilsonville/Sherwood. We use 4 on a daily basis.