We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

The first trip to the Pacific northwest for me and my family. We will have a rental car.

Here is my tentative Itinerary:

Friday, arrive PDX 230pm, pick up rental car, drive to wine country, dinner in or around Dundee.

Saturday, spend in Portland, visit Washington Park, Saturday market, eat at food trucks, drink at brrewpubs.

Sunday, big breakfast, day trip to Gorge, looping back around Mt. Hood.

Monday, visit to Oregon coast, then continue north to Aberdeen, WA.

Rest of the week, Olympic National Park and Seattle.

Below are the questions that pertain to Oregon:

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

I picked Dundee based on this web page. travelportland.com/things-to-see-and-do/acti…

For a brief taste (literally) of Oregon wine country, is that where you would go? I think we would have tome to stop at one, possibly two, wineries and get dinner. We need to be back to PDX approx. 9pm.

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

I am hoping all day Saturday plus Sunday night would give us a decent idea of the Portland experience, although it is obvious we could see so much more if we had more time. Is there anything you would change or add to Saturday?

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

It looks like the scenic highway will be blocked. We can get to Crown Point but then have to turn back. oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/events/Crown… I assume there are alternate, less scenic routes. Comments or suggestions?

Edited: 9:38 am, August 15, 2012
Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

The Oregon coast was so strongly recommended on these pages I have included it in my already busy itinerary. Given that I only have time for lunch and a couple hours hike, where would you go? I see Cannon Beach mentioned a lot. Bob Straub and Oswald West state parks look good, as do Cape Lookout and Cape Mears.

Level Contributor
36,209 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

Cannon Beach is a lovely place to visit. We were there yesterday picking up some steamer clams at Ecola Seafood. If you like seafood, this would be a nice place for lunch. There is also Mo's which has pretty views of Haystack Rock and a little more upscale is The Wayfarer @ The Surfsand Resort. www.cannon-beach.net is a nice website for this area.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,119 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

There is no ugly place in the Columbia Gorge. It's beautiful all over. I suggest you may like to include it.

If you go on the HCRH to Crown Point Vista House, just turn back to Corbett to -reach the Interstate 84 east bound to continue into the Gorge. back off again at Bridal Veil. through Multnomah Falls and onto the interstate again at Ainsworth State Park.

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

Portland - with the caveat that I'm not city person, you might think about adding in OMSI and/or Powell's Books. The latter is a true Portland "experience" ;-) Also, you might be interested in the jet boats that go on the Willamette River which will give you a completely different perspective of the city.

Coast - I wouldn't go as far south as Bob Straub for two reasons. It's attractive enough but to me not outstanding scenery, and it will use up more of your short time to get there and back. Hmmm, we were there last fall but I guess I forgot to addd it to TA and submit a review and pics. Thanks for the reminder!

Ecola State Park is sometimes referred to as the "Crown Jewel" of the coastal SPs for a reason - it really is lovely there. You can walk up to the old WWII lookout station. Everybody ought to see Haystack Rock at least once when in the area.

The approx 20 miles south of Cannon Beach is one of the most scenic sections of Hwy 101. I'm not a fan of Oswald West park but thousands are, as evidenced by the busy parking lot all summer long ;-) Historical Hug Point might interest you although by eastern standards our "history" is pretty short, LOL. But it is unique and very much "Oregon":

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51790-d1847392/Canno…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

Definitely Dundee. Lunch at the Dundee Bistro and then dinner at Paulee. Easy drive back to Portland. Wineries all around!

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

Getting in too late for lunch. I should be lucky to make it to Dundee by 4pm.

I am including the Gorge, at least that is the plan for Sunday during the day.

Edited: 8:56 pm, August 15, 2012
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,119 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland and Day Trips - A few more questions

Today was a good day on the HCRH. We drove it.( I posted a note~ currently above.) It was passable except a 5 minute stop for a single lane closure. So it changes from day to day.

Your Brunch could be at Multnomah Falls Lodge where they do a great brunch. Or take the Sternwheeler from Cascade Locks for the Brunch cruise.

Oh, by the way the AVA in the Gorge has absolutely great wine, many Italian style without the sulphites that give you the headache)

Have fun.

Mrs O

Edited: 9:11 pm, August 15, 2012