We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

Hi all! Planning a Labor day weekend getaway in your neck of the woods (first timers). Any fun events we ought to check out?

Thanks and cheers!

Chris

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

Chris,

Not any one big thing. The Pearl has an art thing. You should choose one thing you like and one area~ some picnics, other areas have things going.

Out in Deschutes, OR or White Salmon WA, you could take a white water rafting trip.

The Columbia Gorge always has events along the way.

Maybe MSUbulldog25 who is with a travel center can come along and help more. At least I bumped you to the top.

Mrs O

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

Well, I *WAS* a TravelPortland guy, but I still try to keep tabs on what's going on... :)

I'll plead ignorance on not knowing of much in terms of 'fun events' going on that weekend... it's the usual suspects like Saturday Market, PSU Farmers Market, Japanese Gardens, Lan Su Chinese Garden, etc as far as I know. Unless you want to venture out to St Johns, where there'll be a fun Labor Day party hosted by my wife and some friends at Cathedral Park, complete with beers and a game of 'Cornhole'... :-D

Brian

Chris: What kind of 'fun' are you looking for? Festivals, fairs, concerts, exhibitions, hikes, tours, pub crawls, or ??? Maybe one of of us can come up with something...

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

Good Answer Brian! Are you lucky we are going to be in Spokane for the holiday!

Mrs O

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

Thank you, Mrs O and Brian :)

We are mainly going for fairs and concerts with forest/mountain views. Being in Orlando it is very flat and humid we would love to experience the great outdoors mixing in your area's renowned food and alcohol delights with the natural setting.

Chris

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

I believe UO and OSU football teams are both opening the 2012 season at home (Eugene and Corvallis, respectively) against less than stellar opponents, so there may be tickets available. Also, some wineries are holding special open houses (not as big as the Memorial Day and Thanksgiving weekend events) but could be of interest. One of our favorites, and not real well known, is Styring in the Ribbon Ridge area. Tell them you got the e-mail announcement from "Molly the wine dog" and your tasting is free,

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

Another idea.

You may enjoy the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Just east on I-84, it's neat even if nothing is going on.

Try Multnomah Falls..Go into the Visitor Information Center and the volunteers will set you up with something you would enjoy.

Mrs O

Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

How come nobody mentioned the Pirate Festival? http://portlandpiratefestival.com/

We're also arriving Portland for Labor Day and thought we might check this out.

8. Re: Labor day weekend events - music/food/wine ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 20, 2013