We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 and a Weekend in Portland

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
18 and a Weekend in Portland

My friend and I are both 18 are going to be spending a weekend in Porland - the only problem is we don't know what to do. Neither of us really want to go see the sights or anything historical - it's just not our scene and we've got shopping covered. Any suggestions would be great.

Buffalo Exchange
Gift & Specialty Shops
Ed's House of Gems
Gift & Specialty Shops
Stark's Vacuums Museum
Gift & Specialty Shops, Specialty Museums
Hello! Good Morning!
Gift & Specialty Shops
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

Why are you visiting Portland?

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

My mom is visiting her best friends and I'm visiting my god-parents (the same people)

They'll be occupied the whole time so my friend and I get to do whatever we want.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

Aha! that makes sense, I could not imagine why you would come here if you are not interested in sightseeing or shopping lol.

We will have to wait until oregone or someone posts something for you, I cannot think of anything to do here that is not involved with seeing sights .. you can just ride the streetcar and get off wherever something catches your eye, or just go to Powells and look at books and drink coffee.

Get a guide book or read about Portland online, see if something appeals to you.

I would love to help but you have me stumped :)

Good luck..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

I know there are a couple clubs for teenagers that my son's been to; sorry, don't know names. You might check concert schedules. A couple weekends ago, I took my daughter to a concert by a group she'd heard and read about on MySpace. Not MY idea of fun, but it might be your "scene".

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

Not sure your interests or where you are staying. I would probably be more helpful if I did. Forest Park is a great place to hike. The Pearl offers many art displays. Powell Books is an adventure in itself. I guess the big question is what kind of thing would you like to do?

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

We're staying in Washington but just like right over the border so transportation to Portland isn't a problem. We were considering a concert - but since we're from LA almost EVERYONE comes here too, but that's still an option. I guess we're pretty much open to anything that isn't like typical like Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc. (if you know what I mean) I've been to Portland and all through Oregon MANY times doing those sorts of things - like waterfalls and nature type stuff (I even lived in Eugene for a bit and spend a month there every summer.) My friend, on the other hand, has never been up there.

I'm not really sure how to help but.. for example if I took her to Eugene I would take her to the Saturday Market (because it's NOTHING like down here and it would be interesting for her to see like.. anoher side of life) probably out on a lake and river - but that would be with my dad's boats and isn't really an option for our Portland trip. Hmm, I guess I'm going more along the lines of interactive fun (though hiking wouldn't really interest us either) Sorry if I'm sounding so difficult, lol - I'm really not.

We're both sort of on a budget - we could do most things but like something that would cost near $100 or more would be too much.

Thanks for all your help!

and again sorry we're so difficult. :)

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Portland Saturday Market
Portland Saturday Market
962 Reviews
Portland, OR
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

Oh, you are not SO difficult :)

OK, we have a Saturday Market here that you might like, and your friend too. It is on Sundays also. There is always live music and food and crazy things to look at in addition to the things being sold.

Get on the streetcar and just ride, get off when something catches your attention. On Sat in the South Park Blocks is a Farmers Mkt..you can buy food and snack while you wander that area,.. this is where the University is, plenty of young'uns.

In the Pearl District are great shops, you don't hve to shop, you can just look, go to one of the many coffee shops/cafes ( if the weather is good-sit outdoors) and people watch..always fun here..(IMO)

Powells is a huge bookstore but they also have a gallery on the top floor and something unique is always on show- (not your typical Barnes and Noble)

I think the best thing is just walk or take the streetcar and browse, stop when something catches your eye. There should be something...hopefully :)

I hope when you get back home, you will post here and tell us what you ended up doing ~

Mentioned in this post
Portland Saturday Market
Portland Saturday Market
962 Reviews
Portland, OR
South Park Blocks
South Park Blocks
17 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

omg! foam party at UpFront FX is teh bombs!!1!

Seriously, when I was 18 I used to always skip school and come to downtown portland. Of course, I'm from Woodburn and not LA so just the sight of a building higher than three stories was a big deal to us back then. So I don't have much for you.

You could look for the secret part of the fountain on SW 3rd and Clay.

Join a hacky-sack game at Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Try to make the piano player at Nordstrom giggle by mooning him.

Have a ridiculous donut at Voodoo.

Go to 5th Avenue Suites, take the elevator to the third floor, then take the back stairs into the kitchen and steal samples off the dessert tray.

Buy some "Hello my name is" stickers from Rite-Aid and then take the MAX to the convention center to blend in with the pharmecutical reps and load up on promotional pens.

Stand at the intersection of SE 37th and Hawthorne for exactly 22 seconds. Something cool is bound to happen.

That's the PG-rated version of what we used to do when we were 18. Not sure what the kids are into these days.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Pioneer Courthouse Square
Pioneer Courthouse Square
518 Reviews
Portland, OR
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,421 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

oregone, That is hilarious!!

I want to know what you are doing now at your age!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 18 and a Weekend in Portland

OMSI's kind of cool. Plus you can kick off in a great speedboat tour of the Willamette River from there. Cinema 21 has wonderful films and is in a funky area on NW 21st. Coffee shops abound and friendly folk are found. If you tell me about what you are interested in I might be able to offer more help.