We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near SE 10th Ave between Lincoln & Grant

california
Level Contributor
166 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near SE 10th Ave between Lincoln & Grant

I will be seeing a play at the Shoe Box Theater at 2110 SE 10th. I want a room close to the theater since I'll be seeing the play 3 nights in a row but the closest places I can find are the river. Is there a place I could stay within 5-6 blocks of the theater?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near SE 10th Ave between Lincoln & Grant

Personally, I know of nothing close to that. I volunteer right around that area, it's pretty much in an industrial type area.

About a mile and a half North is the Jupiter Hotel. It's not for everyone - it's an old motor inn that was remodeled to be "hip."

Other than that - the bulk of hotels are going to be across the river from the playhouse. It's not that far - Portland isn't that big of a place. Are you driving? Or relying on public trans, or a taxi? if you did allow yourself a wider area to stay in, you would have a better choice of hotels in your chosen budget, etc.

Personally i would stay downtown and bus it over within walking distance. It''s not that far by bus or cab from downtown and you don't say you'll be at the playhouse all day. That might be a better option.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near SE 10th Ave between Lincoln & Grant

Like Noah says, there really aren't hotels within a reasonable walk of this SE location. The area is 'light-industrial'; however it's also close to neighborhoods filled with historic homes (Ladd's Addition in particular) and older apartment/condo buildings.

If you still insist on staying in the immediate area rather than a downtown hotel or one a couple miles away on the eastside, I looked on VRBO and found listings that could work for you (depending on your budget).

I found this one: http://www.vrbo.com/367883 ithas rates of $100/nt til April (though there's tax and a cleaning fee to consider, but no bus commute/car rental or parking fee). No exact address given, but a photo mentions being '2 blocks from Tiny's (a good breakfast/coffee spot) and that place is only about 6 blocks north of your theatre. Sounds like a modestly-sized by well-maintained older home, if that's your thing. Price is quite comparable to any thing you'll find at an area hotel.

There are other listings on VRBO (I looked in 'Hawthorne') vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a19387 but many are either higher priced, of a larger size, or are located further east on Hawthorne than you might choose to stay. But you didn't give those parameters (nor your dates when you're staying) so I'm doing some guessing here.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Brian

Edited: 10:26 am, December 11, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near SE 10th Ave between Lincoln & Grant

You could look at something a little more bohemian - Portland Hostel Hawthorne. Not much closer than a downtown hotel would be, but a straight shot on the bus (they also, apparently, rent bikes to guests). Would put you in an interesting neighborhood for your non-arts hours.

http://www.portlandhostel.org/

california
Level Contributor
166 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near SE 10th Ave between Lincoln & Grant

Jasone: Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm completely reliant on public transit and didn't necessarily want to cross the river late at night after the play. I'll be staying for 3 nights in March and have already made the reservations. Thanks again for your help!

5. Re: Hotel near SE 10th Ave between Lincoln & Grant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 12, 2012