We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Lodging?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento, Ca
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Memorial Day Lodging?

We're thinking of hitting the Dundee area for memorial day. We know this is supposed to be a huge wine weekend and are looking for suggestions for lodging. We like something a little nicer than the standard Motel 6 but try to keep things reasonable. A little off-beat (we enjoy Kennedy School) is better than pretentious. Is anyone aware of any hidden gems out there?

Thanks!

Steve

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

Try McMenamins Hotel Oregon in MacMinnville. they also did Kennedy school

Sacramento, Ca
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

That was our original plan but it looks like they're booked solid for that weekend.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

I don't have anything specific to recommend, but suggest you include Newberg in your scope. Not the prettiest of towns, but I believe there are a couple B&B's around, and it's only a few miles from Dundee.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

mistletoe--That is really ironic that you recommended Newberg. Just yesterday I was down there and a car parked next to mine was one that was from a B&B. I was curious and checked out the website when I got home. It was University House and the website is http://universityhousenewberg.com

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

Steve: If you like Kennedy School and Hotel Oregon is booked, you might try the McMenamins' other Willamette Valley property, Grand Lodge in Forest Grove. It'll be further north in the valley, but still in the vicinity of the vineyards. It's a pretty quick drive down Hwy. 47 to Yamill, Carlton & Mcminnville...or over to Dundee & Newberg.

Have a great visit if you decide to come!

Brian

PS: I minor bit but worth mentioning, I believe most rooms at Grand Lodge are "european style" (no bathrooms in room)...however a few do have them. If that matters...

Level Contributor
34,486 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

You may want to check out the Black Walnut Inn, we were considering a stay here and their website looks very nice. Have a great time in the wine country and try to have a meal at the Dundee Bistro. A nice little bistro with great food and they feature the Ponzi wines here. Cheers! :)

Sacramento, Ca
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

It looks like we've got a trip to New York coming about that same time so we may have to delay the Oregon wine country for a bit. That may work out for the best as far as reservations are concerned. We love the area and it's really just a short flight up from Sacramento so it's not like we won't ever get there. I hate to miss out on a weekend when all the wineries are open but we can only hit so many in a weekend anyway and I suspect that it can be a madhouse at some of them.

Again, thanks for everyone's ideas.

Steve

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

Being from NY, I can suggest some wineries there too :D

Sacramento, Ca
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

Thanks but I doubt we'll have time to leave Manhattan. Unless it's to go over the Brooklyn bridge to River Cafe. Had some nice Oregon Pinot when we were there in January.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memorial Day Lodging?

I'm going to chime in with the Chorus here - if you like Kennedy School, then you'll like Hotel Oregon. The McMenamins hotel is located in Historic Downtown McMinnville, and is set up with an old west theme. It's an old, historic building with a rooftop bar and the usual McMenamins menu and bar selections.

There's a pool room, a cellar bar with live music, and the rooms are quite rustic. We felt like we were in a scene from Maverick or something. They have a great deal (or at least did) that includes breakfast, dinner, room, etc. for a very reasonable price - check their website for specials.

McMinnville is a little ways off the Dundee strip, which is a darn good quality on Memorial day - it's so packed in Dundee, and there are many better, calmer, and more scenic vineyards in Oregon's wine country than those on the strip (most don't charge for tastings like those ones do either).