We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Feb.

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
1 post
Save Topic
Weather in Feb.

Hello all:

My boyfriend has a conference in Portland the week of Feb 14 and he asked me to join him that weekend to check out Portland. (We have never been there). I want to but I am concerned about the weather. We'd like to visit the beach, outdoor activities/sightseeing, nothing indoors.

Is it too risky with the wather for me to spend the money to travel up there? What do the experts here think?

Thanks,

Luv2travel

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Feb.

Rain for certain and some of the area you are referring to are experiencing flooded roads, downed trees and mudslides. It is a tough winter here, but fun can be had in OR in any weather as we are used to rain. If you can't handle rain, don't come, but I think you will love the place none the less. People are great, food is great, and storm watching at the coast is fantastic this time of year. If you have the $$ to do so, do it. If it is a real stretch, come another time.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Feb.

Bonsoir Billy!

love2travel...it has been raining for like 40 days and nights and we are starting to make plans to build an ark.

but even with the unco-operative weather, we find plenty to do all day.

Powells Books

Movies

Pioneer Square Mall

Portland Art Museum

OMSI

You can get around by streetcar, shop the Pearl or NW23rd and just pop in and out of shops and cafes to stay warm and dry.

I am reeeally hoping that by the 14th, things will be normal and if it rains, it will be a light mist, not the downpours we are having now.

Just bring a raincoat :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Feb.

Not too risky to travel. Most likely you will encounter some cold and some rain. Snow happens, but not very often. If you plan to be in the outdoors, bring layers to accomodate 50 degrees or 30 degrees and light weight rain gear to wear over. Gloves and a scarf just in case the snow does fall. Have fun!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Feb.

Risky? By that are you asking if we think you'd be wasting your money? No offense, luv2travel, but I've been to Kansas. ;-) It won't be much warmer here, and chances are it'll rain... a bunch. But that doesn't mean it's not beautiful here. Pack your rain gear.

Level Contributor
34,486 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Feb.

I luv2travel and welcome to the forum! I was in Portland this afternoon and it rained the entire day! We lunched at Carlyle, shopped Nordstom's and See's for Valentine Gifts, strolled through the boutiques on NW 23rd (Nob Hill) and had yummy pizza at Escape From New York. Still lots of fun to be had in the rain!

We're on the Oregon Coast right now, and as much as I love the sun, the rain is nice and there's still lots to do! We're headed over to Astoria a bit later to go to the museums, wine taste and take some photos. You'll have a great time! Just bring your umbrella and maybe some gloves. :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Feb.

Excuse me, but that is incorrect information.

I live in Portland and it did not rain all day today..

We were walking our dog and shopping this afternoon, in the Pearl district and downtown, no umbrellas, no rain.

Today was the first First Thursday and the streets were crowded this evening with people wandering in and out of shops and galleries.

Even if it were raining, it does not stop anyone.

And be sure to not call NW 3rd street or area Nob Hill..the locals will not know what you are talking about lol.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Feb.

It's a pity you didn't have more than a few hours to spend in Portland this trip, syrahgirl. But thanks for the trip report, however brief. And it's a good thing you don't mind the rain. Cause we're gonna get it!

Since luv2travel asked about the weather, it's appropriate to say, batten down the hatches, folks, especially anyone at the coast. Rain and 90 - 100 mph winds forecast for tonight. Yikes!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in Feb.

Yes, mistletoe, I heard those weather forecasts, made me glad to be here in town!

We are having a grey but dry morning.

luv2travel, I would stay in the city and save the beaches for summer or fall, if I were you. Even if it is not pouring rain out there, it could be pretty boring, off season.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in Feb.

Yikes! the news is saying that the hotels out at the beach are handing out candles for the power outages when the Big coastal storms hit.

No one is on the beach, the wind is already very strong..not much fun :(