We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Topic
Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

Because of the weather, my wife and I nixed plans to go to Astoria, and instead spent most of the day just hangin around Portland. The highlight was walking through the Hesse exhibit at the Portland Art Museum. Okay... it's not the Louvre or d'Orsay, but hey, this ain't Paris either. It was a great way to spend a couple hours on a rainy Saturday November afternoon.

With thanks to Scarlett for her recommendation, we finished the day with dinner at Fenouil. After a glass or two of wine, I'm pretty easily swayed, so I'll let my wife have the last word; "Is there any reason to go to Hurley's again?"

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

Fantastic!! I am SO glad you both enjoyed it. Beautiful restaurant, isn't it? What did you have to eat?

Are you as annoyed as we are about the PAM charging $15- a person to see that exhibit?

I don't know any museums that charge that much for any exhibits..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

Honestly, I think it might be the best room in Portland. It was an easy first choice after seeing Olea's menu earlier in the day.

We were in decision paralysis because there wasn't one thing on the small plates menu we didn't want to try, so we deferred to the wait staff who suggested sharing the duck confit and house (they didn't really call it that, and if they did, it must be some kinda house) salad. Both were unbelievable! For entrees, my wife had oven baked cod, and I had scallops (Coquille St. Jacques to those in the know (unlike me)). Wow, just wonderful, both dishes. My wife had to have macaroons for dessert; I opted for a couple selections from their fromage choices. All in all, a wonderful dining experience. Except for the early hour, we felt as if we were in Paris again.

$15/person to see the Hesse exhibit???? Yikes! I had no idea. Courtesy of a work associate, we are "members", so didn't have to pay. You might check out membership. Did you see the exhibit? Some good stuff there.

BTW, were you in Whole Foods early this evening?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

Hi!

No I wasn't in Whole Foods yesterday but my husband was and I was outside with pup..

Did you think you recognised a Scarlett lookalike ? LOL

We were at the Museum when they were setting up the carriage in the foyer .. we thought we would wait because we are used to the crowds in museums when big exhibits open.

I have just been reading some opinions lately about the price and we were surprised that it is so high..The Met in NY as well as the Guggenheim etc..ask for "donations" and even when you pay, the prices for special shows are not that high..

High museum prices just drive away people..and not everyone wants to join to get a lower price..

We joined the Japanese Gardens though :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

I think it's well worth it to go to the Art Museum and I will be going next weekend. A little spendy but well worth it. It takes a bit of cash to bring art to Portland. I'm willng to chip in.

As for Hurley's, up to you. There are many excellent reataurants in Portland. It all depends on what you like!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

FYI: You can knock two bucks off the admission price if you show them a Starbucks card...woohoo! Then spend the money you just 'saved' on an overpriced cup of coffee! :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

It's been a while since I've been on this board but I felt the need to weigh in on the comments about PAM's admission prices.

My husband and I are Patrons of the Museum and have been nothing but impressed with John & Lucy Buchanan. They have brought outstanding & exclusive exhibits to not only Portland, but the U.S. The Hesse exhibit, here in Portland, is the first time in many, many years that The Madonna w/Basel Mayor Jacob Meyer and is Family oil featured in the Hesse exhibit has left its home abroad. We are lucky enough to have this painting here in Oregon, ONLY because of the Buchanans. The exhibits that the Buchanans bring into our community also bring with them, tourists from out of state and out of the country (The Hesse family was in town for the opening weekend of the exhibit and spent a great deal of time shopping and spending money in various locations around the city). These out of state and country tourists bring economic benefit to our state (even more so if we had a sales tax).

While PAM has higher prices than many museums around the country, it does NOT receive the same public funding and sponsorships that those museums do, including the Met. The Oregonian has recently featured a number of editorials complaining about the prices but they have not had the chutzpah to ask the question that should be asked if we want "free" days or lower admission -- Are we as taxpayers willing to foot the bill for these privileges?

Other museums around the country ARE supported by tax revenue specifically earmarked for the arts. Other museums are fortunate enough to be supported by Fortune 500 companies sponsoring "free" days. Unfortunately, Oregon's taxpayers have not found the Museum important enough to support with special levies or designated dollars. Unfortunately, Oregon has only 1 Fortune 500 company, not the dozens or more that many states have to support their Museums.

IF we want lower prices at the Museum, we need to stop looking at Museum management and start looking at ourselves, as taxpayers and citizens and ask ourselves, are we willing to do what other communities have done for their art community?

Our community seems to have no problem spending $65 and up for a Blazer game or a Paul McCartney concert but we complain about going spending $15 in order to encounter wonderful works of art and items from across time and the world.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

" we complain about going spending $15 in order to encounter wonderful works of art and items from across time and the world."

Coming from NYC and having been to museums all around the US and in Europe, I feel bad when I see a museum charging a lot for admittance.

The result is what we see every time we are in the PAM..hardly anyone is there.

Most museums ask for a donation and any amount will be good, some people just want to see a certain thing and leave, others might want to spend the whole day. Of course, when there is a special exhibit, they charge, but it isn't even as much as PAM..

Portland may have to pay more to get art here, but it will only be a loss for Portland if they charge too much for anyone to see it.

And just to be clear, we bought a membership.

This is about walking through an empty museum and seeing that a couple who might want to spend an hour or two at the museum, will end up costing them $30-.

In London, at all the museums which are free, you will see kids with their backpacks, who spend hours admiring and looking at the art. A backpacker in Portland would not be going to the Art Museum.

and that is why it bothers me.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

Sparkle,

did you read The Oregonian's editorial page regarding PAM charging $15 a ticket for its current exhibits ?

They say it is more than the price of admission to museums in New York, Chicago and Seattle ..I only know about the NY prices.

Also, last week the Oregon Department of Justice shows that its director's John Buchanans compensation is pretty pretty good...

He earned $429,000 last year, more than his peers at the Seattle, Denver and San Francisco art museums, all of which have greater revenues..

I hope that the Hesse brings in tons of money and visitors, but I really think overcharging in Portland is not the way to do it..

I promise, this is the end of this subject :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

I did read the Oregonian editorial and the one before and as I said in my post before, what the Oregonian failed to mention was that the museums that have free days or discounted entrance fees are publicly funded (through specially designated tax levies) or have business sponsors for those days. PAM does not have those benefits.

John and Lucy are well paid but without them we would not be getting the exhibits that we do and I personally do not begrudge them their well-earned salaries. They work much longer hours than most people imagine. Their salaries are decided upon by the Board -- all of whom give substantially to PAM and many of the Board members and large donors PAM currently has are due solely to the efforts of John and Lucy.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hesse exhibit - Portland Art Museum

There was an interesting article in the pape today about PAM and the Buchanans. Apparently they are leaving and headed for SF for a more prestigious position. The article had several people's takes on the museum and what direction it should go, etc.